Halloween Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
814 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I'm looking to add to my haunt a very simple remote controlled metal trash can. Really the lid only needs to jump around a bit and remote controlled would work better for me because I've got enough to watch over that night.

Are there any simple designs out there and should I be looking at servos or pneumatic?

·
What Hump?
1,107 Posts
If you want really simple, you could get a remotely controlled power outlet, like this one:
http://www.homedepot.com/p/SVAT-Wireless-Remote-Control-Power-Outlet-Outdoor-On-Off-Switch-with-100-ft-Range-WRC101/203500370
and use it to power a motor mounted inside the trash can, near the lid.
The motor would have an oblong, cam on the axle that would bump the lid up and down when it spun. You'd probably need to hinge, or otherwise attach the lid to the can in the back to keep the lid from falling off.

If you want something a bit more involved that uses pneumatics, look up "Trash Can Trauma" on this and other sites.

·
Soccer and Lacrosse Dad
1,767 Posts
I like the idea of the motor driven mechanism with the cam. If you need to focus on other things throughout the evening you could try a motion detector light hack. Running off the test mode you would get motion for about 5-8 seconds and then it would turn off until the next person tripped the sensor. This might leave the lid in various positions when turned off but you wouldn't have to pay any attention to the prop all night thus focusing your attention on other things.

·
Funeral Crasher
7,441 Posts
Yea, that was the same idea that popped in my head. Maybe put a hidden hinge on the backside of the lid, then mount a high speed motor with a half circle of wood or some other heavy material attached to the shaft.
Kind of like a larger version of the motor that vibrates your cell phone.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Yea, that was the same idea that popped in my head. Maybe put a hidden hinge on the backside of the lid, then mount a high speed motor with a half circle of wood or some other heavy material attached to the shaft.
Kind of like a larger version of the motor that vibrates your cell phone.
I used a corded drill motor (cheap at thrift stores) for a Monster in the box. Similar idea, works good.
Try to get a drill motor that has variable speeds. You can use a hose clamp or wire tie to apply the correct amount of tension on the power switch.
When power is applied to the drill, then it rotates at a set speed. Use a motion detector light with a plug adapter screwed into the light socket for the drill to plug in to. Make sure the security light has a test function . This will be a reliable set up if done right. Because of the high torque of the drill motor it has to be secured well.
Pete

1 - 6 of 6 Posts