Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
RC Ghost.jpg

I've been flying RC aircraft for a few years. I had seen others with RC Halloween items, and thought I'd try the same. I think it turned out quite good. Below is a video of me flying it around the neighborhood last Halloween. Its a fairly large Tricopter (Like a quadcopter but with only 3 rotors). It was a hit. I bought the ghost from a local Halloween retailer. Its a 7 foot porch hanger that I cut down to 6 feet. It has a vacuumed formed plastic skull that is glue to the cheeseclothe like material. I used white LED strips along the Tricopter arms covered with paper plates to diffuse the light. I also have a red LED strip in the skull behind a regular piece of printer paper, also to diffuse the LEDs. I hope you like it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mr_Chicken, Thanks. There are a good amount of quadcopter ghosts out there, but they all seemed over done with lights and props. I thought simpler would be better. Plus cheaper and easier.

·
Registered
3,527 Posts
VERY COOL!! I fly R/C also, the club I used to belong to a few years back had a couple members that built flying witches on a broom. They used .60 size glow fuel engines and really looked awesome in the air. I like the quadcopter idea, nicely done!

·
Registered
703 Posts
View attachment 218423

I've been flying RC aircraft for a few years. I had seen others with RC Halloween items, and thought I'd try the same. I think it turned out quite good. Below is a video of me flying it around the neighborhood last Halloween. Its a fairly large Tricopter (Like a quadcopter but with only 3 rotors). It was a hit. I bought the ghost from a local Halloween retailer. Its a 7 foot porch hanger that I cut down to 6 feet. It has a vacuumed formed plastic skull that is glue to the cheeseclothe like material. I used white LED strips along the Tricopter arms covered with paper plates to diffuse the light. I also have a red LED strip in the skull behind a regular piece of printer paper, also to diffuse the LEDs. I hope you like it.

Well its about time someone did this. Congrats. Well Done.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Now THAT'S cool --- very well done! I think you hit the the lighting spot-on. Not too over-the-top.
I kept waiting for one of the passing cars to slam on their brakes or crash or something, lol. :)
--JaCk

·
Registered
265 Posts
That is completely AWESOME! I couldn't keep from smiling the whole time I watched the video! The sound of the tricopter seems to add to the effect as well. Very well done!

Are tricopters hard to fly? I have tried flying a traditional type helicopter and it's friggin' hard!

I...must...have...a...tricopter flying ghost!!!

·
Registered
178 Posts
I have always wanted to do that. Just no way for me to enjoy it, way to much going on at my haunt. I am looking forward to the day I can just set something like that on remote and leave it going.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Just yesterday I overheard my father describing the Axworthy video I'd showed him as one of the most amazing decorations he'd seen. I can't wait to hear his reaction to this...

I've seen videos of people using n-rotors for halloween before, but yours was by far the best I've seen to date.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
That is completely AWESOME! I couldn't keep from smiling the whole time I watched the video! The sound of the tricopter seems to add to the effect as well. Very well done!

Are tricopters hard to fly? I have tried flying a traditional type helicopter and it's friggin' hard!

I...must...have...a...tricopter flying ghost!!!

The controls are similar to a helicopter, but I suspect they are easier to fly. I've never flown a regular helicopter. I started with a toy quadcopter. Don't bother with the toy helicopter. They are horrible at the toy level. A toy quad flies just like the full size. Start with a Hubsan X4, Estes Proto X, or a Syma X1. They are $30-50 on amazon, or buy the Cheerson CX-10 for $20 from banggood.com. Fly it through the winter indoors, and come spring you'll be ready to start crashing a large Tricopter around. By next October you'll be ready for Halloween.

·
Registered
265 Posts
The controls are similar to a helicopter, but I suspect they are easier to fly. I've never flown a regular helicopter. I started with a toy quadcopter. Don't bother with the toy helicopter. They are horrible at the toy level. A toy quad flies just like the full size. Start with a Hubsan X4, Estes Proto X, or a Syma X1. They are $30-50 on amazon, or buy the Cheerson CX-10 for $20 from banggood.com. Fly it through the winter indoors, and come spring you'll be ready to start crashing a large Tricopter around. By next October you'll be ready for Halloween.
Fantastic! Thanks for the tips and suggestions on what I should start with. I can't wait!!!:cool:

·
Registered
89 Posts

I have an Hubsan X4 and love it. Im really going to have to build a brushless quad or tricopter and try this out. :D

·
Registered
393 Posts
LOVE this!! I was actually looking around for something like this the other day so I'm glad you posted this. Does the material get in the way of the blades?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
LOVE this!! I was actually looking around for something like this the other day so I'm glad you posted this. Does the material get in the way of the blades?
If you look closely I have string tied between the ends of the arms to help keep the material out of the blades. I still have to be careful when flying. This year I will be using fishing line.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts