Halloween Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
See the attached diagram for wiring up a DC motor to a relay that reverses the motor's direction. It also includes limit switches that turn off the motor once whatever it's moving reaches a certain position. I used this with a linear actuator that opened and closed a coffin lid. I simply triggered the relay to open the lid, which then stops when the 'open' limit switch is reached. To close the lid I simply untriggered the relay at the appropriate time, which runs the DC motor the other way until the 'close' limit switch is reached. Easy peasy.

Found it amongst my old construction documents and though it might be useful to someone.

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks for sharing this. If we add a digital timer which triger the relay, what is a diagram look like?
I want a condition for egg turner incubator, say 3 hours reach (move to limit switch 1) another 3 hours move in reverse to Limit switch 2.
Thank you.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Thanks for sharing this. If we add a digital timer which triger the relay, what is a diagram look like?
I want a condition for egg turner incubator, say 3 hours reach (move to limit switch 1) another 3 hours move in reverse to Limit switch 2.
Thank you.
I think you want something else. Try Arduino you can program timers for very little $

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If we add a digital timer which [triggers] the relay, what [would the] diagram look like?
Restating the above: to power the motor one way, apply a Vcontrol voltage to the relay. The DC motor powered by the Vmotor voltage will stop automatically when the limit switch is triggered. Then, when you are ready to reverse the DC motor, stop applying a Vcontrol voltage to the relay and the DC motor will run in the reverse direction and stop automatically when the other limit switch is triggered.

Given the above description, choose a relay rated for your DC motor's Vmotor voltage/amperage and your digital timer's Vcontrol voltage/amperage. Since I don't know your particular application, that's all I can say. The limit switches should be momentary, of course.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Restating the above: to power the motor one way, apply a Vcontrol voltage to the relay. The DC motor powered by the Vmotor voltage will stop automatically when the limit switch is triggered. Then, when you are ready to reverse the DC motor, stop applying a Vcontrol voltage to the relay and the DC motor will run in the reverse direction and stop automatically when the other limit switch is triggered.

Given the above description, choose a relay rated for your DC motor's Vmotor voltage/amperage and your digital timer's Vcontrol voltage/amperage. Since I don't know your particular application, that's all I can say. The limit switches should be momentary, of course.
Thank you for your reply, shall learn it deeply and thoroughly.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts