Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, the first thing that popped into my head is . . . what the?! This was a very unexpected delivery to my mailbox this morning. My homemade Halloween card was sent out on October 14th and now it's back. It got refused perhaps by the card exchanging forum member. I dunno what else to say except that I'm saddened and that I'm sorry you didn't get a Halloween card from me this year but I did try. Yours as is everyone else's are still hanging up in my office. I suppose I will add mine to my desk. image.jpg

·
His name is Roger Clyne
9,784 Posts
The USPS doesn't go out of its way to find people anymore. I've had things returned because the address was one digit off but that one digit put it right next door to the actual address but it never got delivered.

At work we send out calendars this time of year & I usually get a bunch back right away but there's always stragglers. I got one back in August. It was sent December 2014 & we didn't get it back until AUGUST 2015!!

PM the recipient, you never know they may have given you a wrong zip code or they may have moved, who knows?

1,277 Posts
Wow nice card.... I would have enjoyed getting that one too. Yes the USPS is getting terrible at it's job. I had a Red, White and Dead exchange card returned almost 2 months after I sent it with insufficient address stamped on it. I was really puzzled because it was to my sister who has lived at her address for over 15 years and whom I've sent many things to over all those years. In fact I sent her a Halloween card with the SAME exact address and she got it just fine. I"m hoping her Krampus Day card arrived now. I've had things requiring a signature get lost forever at least twice now, thankfully it wasn't anything irreplaceable. Packages I"ve gotten of late have been looking like they have been tossed around till the boxes are crushed and torn and the contents do not always survive the USPS does little about it. Yet the cost to send things is ever raising. One of those things that make you go GRRRRR.

·
Super Moderator
5,705 Posts
The USPS doesn't go out of its way to find people anymore. I've had things returned because the address was one digit off but that one digit put it right next door to the actual address but it never got delivered.

At work we send out calendars this time of year & I usually get a bunch back right away but there's always stragglers. I got one back in August. It was sent December 2014 & we didn't get it back until AUGUST 2015!!

PM the recipient, you never know they may have given you a wrong zip code or they may have moved, who knows?
My neighbor down the street and I have a lot of trouble. I live at 5895, they live at 5985. The postman has refused delivery when the name didn't match before. Or maybe they got tired of getting skulls and bones in the mail...

·
black light queen
2,542 Posts
My neighbor down the street and I have a lot of trouble. I live at 5895, they live at 5985. The postman has refused delivery when the name didn't match before. Or maybe they got tired of getting skulls and bones in the mail...
can the postman refuse to deliver something to an address? how does he/she know who might/might not be living there? isn't their job to deliver usps stuff to the address, irregardless who its addressed to?

if i get something delivered that isn't ours, i'll just mark it "return to sender" with a comment that says that person doesn't live here, or something like that

amk

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
Has Fed-Ex and UPS hired sub-contractors to actually make some deliverys now? Seems as if something like that has happened.
A Fed-X truck delivered here a month ago from Wisconsin?
It looked like their regular delivery Van except down low was a painted sign saying leased to XXXX?
Did the UPS drivers have to buy the trucks? Or are they now just responsible for repairs to their own trucks? Did something like this happen?
My house had 5 apartments in it. For years I would get 5 of every piece of junk mail! Five little advertising rulers=OK Five free samples of laundry soap=OK ,five pieces of political literature=no!
We are at 411 North Carroll St, There is also a 411 South Carroll St but the street is disected by a block of old school buildings,making driving from one end to the other impossible to do in a straight line.
We have sometimes been delivered what seemed to be some Very Important Mail that belonged to 411 S,Carroll..........

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah I totally understand that mistakes happen. A couple of weeks ago I got my neighbor's mail and I just walked it over and put it into their mailbox. No biggie. I would hope if this card got delivered to the wrong address that the person would maybe just say, that's not me and point to the right house since this was not just regular mail. I have sent a PM and I'm just waiting for a response. Thank you for the compliments as well. :)
I will be back at it again next year despite these sorts of mishaps. I will give it some time for a response (maybe until Christmas or New Years) since it is or can be a busy time of the year and then the card will be sent on down to a friend in the Caribbean.

·
His name is Roger Clyne
9,784 Posts
Gym, Fed Ex & UPS use rental trucks this time of year to deliver stuff. Our regular UPS guy is in some Enterprise rental truck until after the holiday. They have also subbed things out to the post office so if you see a postal truck on a Sunday don't panic that you slept through the weekend, that USPS truck is just delivering your Amazon stuff on time.

1,277 Posts
I think them HAVING to deliver to an address no matter the name is a mixed bag. Frog has a PO box in town and when he first got it he'd get mail from the previous owners all the time. The first time it happened the Postmaster had a fit because he didn't turn it in to the counter right away. He claimed he was stealing mail by keeping it... How can he be stealing mail if the postal worked put in in his box, it's not like he walked behind the wall and grabbed mail. So it seems like they will deliver to the address no matter the name BUT if it's not YOU then YOU become responsible for getting it to the right person or else you are stealing the mail.

Neither of my children still live at my address nor used it for years yet I still get stuff for them. My brother lived with us for a time almost 20 years ago and I still get stuff for him, as recently as last month. My mom passed almost 3 years ago and I still get stuff for her. We live on a rural route and I've gotten mail from all over the route but mostly the next door neighbor. If it's next door I just walk it over and let them know it's happened again... if it's for somewhere else I write on it delivered to the WRONG address try again, to let both the mail person know they mucked up and the people it was addressed know the USPS mucked up.

Also being on a rural route I've had the USPS deliver UPS things. Seems it's sometimes easier to just drop off things in town at the PO and have them run the 5 miles out to the house.

·
Registered
460 Posts
TropicalJewel, in my neighborhood the post office won't pick up things we put back in the mailbox, so we have to make a lengthy trek down to the post office (An hour or so by bus) to hopefully get it in the right hands - which was extra unfortunate when we ended up with someone else's invitations to a funeral. I imagine some folks in my area don't bother. Perhaps your intended card recipient lives in a similar place?

·
Registered
502 Posts
Figured I'd jump in here, since it was me.....I didn't refuse any package - heck, I got two packages delivered to me today! I have no idea what happened...judging from the picture, it looks big enough to have fit in my mailbox. I get manilla envelopes in my mailbox all the time, as I'm active on Bookmooch. I'm just as much in the dark as you are.....:(

And the card looks so cool too....could you try to send it again?

I'll PM you my address again in case there was an error of some kind (like a zip code error).

We've been in this same house for 4 years now, so it's not like there's a forwarding address problem or something.....

1 - 20 of 32 Posts