Halloween Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
demonic animatronic
810 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, so about 10 years ago i built a pneumatic prop. It used a bicycle pump and sprinkler valve ( not the safest idea but lowwww pressure)
it was a ghoul that would pop straight up when triggered, doubling in height. some of you might know it as my avatar. I wanted something safer, so I got a surplus bimba stainless cylinder with a 12in throw, my torso/arm mech was mounted directly on the rod, this was a bit unstable and put sideways strain on the cylinder bushings. and... it rotated... oops. so I added a rod that slid in a tube beside the cylinder, this minimized the twisting of the upper torso but didn't prevent it. This version was unreliable, slower than originally built ( small solenoid ) and didn't look and act right.... and so he was retired for a couple years.

well I got around to rebuilding him for this year, I am still working on the pneumatics and getting my per-prop regulators and driers completed.

IMG_3969.jpg
IMG_3937.jpg
IMG_3938.jpg
IMG_3939.jpg

The big break through was the use of the ball bearing sliders (non soft close)
they are the commercial, heavy duty type for 100+ LB drawers, and they are smooth and removed the play in his movements.
The sliders are longer throw than the cylinder, so the activation limits don't stress the mechanism.

I am using an 1/8in 12vdc valve adapted to a waterproof m12 connector to attach to my control outputs ( see my control system thread )
I finally am using my Japanese made SMC regulators that i purchased about 7+ years ago ( seriously, I stockpile) as I had to find 1/8in BSPT ( not NPT ) threaded to 1/4in press-in fittings. Each pneumatic prop has its own regulator and drier, reducing the line pressure (100psi) to about 45psi for the prop. This limits my line loss to a reasonable level for the pneumatics. I use a speed control on the retraction only, giving a great surprise and calm reset.

overall he is much safer, much smoother and much faster. exactly what I wanted when he was first built.

Better late than never right?

·
demonic animatronic
810 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Okay, got the regulator mounted and made a custom bracket for the solenoid. Now all that's left is to make a bracket for the air/water seperator to keep the moisture out of the reg and cylinder. A 100ft+ air run from a warm garage with hot (compressed) air to the chilly outside will really generate some water.

IMG_4022.jpg

IMG_4023.jpg

1 - 2 of 2 Posts