Halloween Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
has anyone tried this? Like disassembling say a chest freezer and using the refrigeration system as a chiller? I've been looking around on craigslist and classifieds ever since I came up with this idea a few days ago and found several freezers for insanely cheap

I know it will be some work but refilling ice gets tired and messy (and looks amateur), ice melts, dry ice is too pricey to go all nite, and ice only cools the fog to 32F whereas freezer coils would get it a bit cooler. In the end I would think if I could build a self-contained, reuseable contraption I would feel alot better about it

thoughts?

· Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
thx for the replies all

general consensus seems to be that it would be too much work for not enough reward. I kinda figured as much, but I've always been a tinkerer. Hence why I come up with ideas like this. So bottom line here is I dunno- I might end up building this and maybe not. If I do, I'll be sure to do at least a quick write up on it

as far as refrigerant goes, it all depends on what grade it is. R134 is the type in most late-model automotive systems and it commonly available. R12 is the older type, is much more expensive and harder to get due all of the restrictions & regulations placed on it after the push to get rid of CFCs. There are countless different types of refrigerants- R22, 508, etc etc. All different characteristics for different systems.

I actually considered running the refrigerant through a radiator or turbo intercooler, but I figured the fog wouldn't be in contact with the cooling surface long enough. A coil-lined tube as mentioned above was more kind of what I was thinking

· Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
well actually, if you really want to go there with it, I probably have a better idea- get a small dorm-sized freezer with the built in automatic ice maker. Rig the unit so that it will fill up the entire freezer with ice before turning off, and turn that into your diy chiller. Automatic refills of ice in your chiller. Eh? Eh?

· Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
thats the only way I would consider actually doing something like this is if I could find one free or just about.

I still haven't decided on a design that I would use if I were to actually venture and build one of these... I would probably use a fridge/freezer as-is if I could find one small enough like a dorm/personal/etc unit, then use ice/dry ice to supplement the refrigeration system. Or dismantle a larger unit and rearrange the coils into a long tube that the fog would have to pass thru, also supplemented by ice/dry ice. I'm leaning towards the tube idea since a larger unit will be more heavy duty, offering both greater cooling capacity and improved duty cycle. Plus the tube design will maximize the time that the fog is in direct contact with the cooling surfaces.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.