Halloween Forum banner

refrigerator/freezer guts as chiller?

11009 38
has anyone tried this? Like disassembling say a chest freezer and using the refrigeration system as a chiller? I've been looking around on craigslist and classifieds ever since I came up with this idea a few days ago and found several freezers for insanely cheap

I know it will be some work but refilling ice gets tired and messy (and looks amateur), ice melts, dry ice is too pricey to go all nite, and ice only cools the fog to 32F whereas freezer coils would get it a bit cooler. In the end I would think if I could build a self-contained, reuseable contraption I would feel alot better about it

thoughts?
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
1,115 Posts
I treid a fridge/freezer. I cut a hole in the top, added an elbow and fog machine. Then, cut another hole at the lower edge of the freezer section. The fog would come in the top and exit the bottom.
It worked kind of O'K. I believe the fan setup in the freezer was blowing the fog around inside, so it lost alot of its magnitude.

All said and done. I threw out the fridge and scrapped the idea.
I believe I still have the video. I'll try to find it and post it with pics.

P.S. I'm looking for volunteers for helping in our haunted barn during October.

· Registered
1,115 Posts
Luckily I have time and a fridge to WASTE! It was a good thought. I took an old fridge/freezer and cut two holes in the freezer portion. One for fog inlet and one for the outlet. It seemed as though the fan blowing on the inside, or whatever it was, disturbed the fog and the effect of it. It was a good try. Needless to say I finished trashing it out and put it to the curb.
I wouldn't waste the time time again. I just needed to know for myself if the idea would work.

· Registered
1,115 Posts
I personally have never said that something like this wouldn't work. What I keep saying however is that once you put it outside and there is any kind of breeze or wind it becomes pretty much like having just a plain fogger. So the question then becomes, do you want to spend the time and money on something that will be fruitless? Once again this video was INSIDE. You can accomplish low lying fog with a kitty liter bucket full of ice if you are going to do it inside or somewhere that has no breezes or people walking by. I think this video clearly illustrates how cool it is, but if you are doing a small haunt for one night a year outside this isn't a reasonable solution. That is just my opinion. Once again I will state that I think this is really cool, I just think it wouldn't be a great solution for outdoors.
I have to agree with yardhauntjunkie here. I made a freezer chiller. It wasn't what I wanted when done and didn't work well outside. Too big and bulky for indoors, so I threw it out and use my ice chest cooler. I don't like chillers or foggers outside, because the wind does not cooperate.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.