Halloween Forum banner

refrigerator/freezer guts as chiller?

11015 Views 38 Replies 21 Participants Last post by  kentuckyspecialfx.com
has anyone tried this? Like disassembling say a chest freezer and using the refrigeration system as a chiller? I've been looking around on craigslist and classifieds ever since I came up with this idea a few days ago and found several freezers for insanely cheap

I know it will be some work but refilling ice gets tired and messy (and looks amateur), ice melts, dry ice is too pricey to go all nite, and ice only cools the fog to 32F whereas freezer coils would get it a bit cooler. In the end I would think if I could build a self-contained, reuseable contraption I would feel alot better about it

thoughts?
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Shadow box dancer
1,443 Posts
I noticed I was referenced in this thread and wanted to clarify. I think that building stuff yourself is a great idea. However I get 3 or 4 fridges and freezers that work a week for FREE (people actually pay me to haul them away). I thought about doing this and it would have cost me nothing. However no matter how great I made it, there would be no gain in overall effect. You can make chilled fog that hangs on the ground using ice and a bucket, the catch is you need an environment that is ideal. If you put it outside there is a high likelihood that people walking by will be enough to stir it up, not to mention slight breezes and wind. If the fogger is going to be inside, then a refrigerated fogger would be cool. But, why go to the trouble and expense when a bucket and ice works almost as good?

Plus most people will use this once a year. Does changing ice a few times a night really kill you that much that you need to go all the trouble of tearing apart a fridge? Plus most likely you would need to take apart the tubing to put it in a fog chiller. If you did this you would have to have it filled again with Freon. And if you were to leave the freezer whole and use that as your fog chiller, be careful because if you cut a whole for the fog to come in you might puncture the tubing for the refrigerant. If you do that your freezer is useless and you would need to get it filled with Freon anyways.

I don't mean not to be supportive, I say go for it. I just was trying to impart some constructive criticism. I know most people don't have the the time and money to spend on something that is not really going to be effective. I am one of those people. However if you have the time and money then it might be worth it. If you have the money then you might want to look at already assembled fog chillers.

· Shadow box dancer
1,443 Posts
Ok another thing is your not going to be able to buy freon without a license anyway and i dont know of anyone that would even refill after you took apart b/c the first question they are going to ask is what did you use to capture the freon or vent the freon into the air and thats a whole new can of worms you do not want to open.
There is a guy in Newport Beach California (well actually Balboa Island CA) that bought two freezer pumps and then had them filled with Freon. So I think that they will do it for you. He created a form in the shape of a snowman and wrapped it entirely in copper tubing then hooked up the freezer pumps. He then sprayed it down with water and had a real snowman in 80 degree weather. Now talk about a waste of time and money. But, hey it got him on national television. :)

· Shadow box dancer
1,443 Posts
I have posted this before but I will again....Someone has accomplished this. It can be done. Here is the proof:

YouTube - Low fog generator

Here is the comments from the user:
This is a "home brew" refrigerated low fog generator that I built last last week (8-1-08) This requires NO co2, no ice cubes, no dry ice, etc, etc... Its completely self contained. Its a little underpowered in the BTU dept (4,000btu) as this was just a trial mockup and was built on a tight budget. (everything was under $100 -foger not included) The next unit is going to be built on a 35,000 to 40,000 BTU scale. Once the project commences, new video ensures. =)
I personally have never said that something like this wouldn't work. What I keep saying however is that once you put it outside and there is any kind of breeze or wind it becomes pretty much like having just a plain fogger. So the question then becomes, do you want to spend the time and money on something that will be fruitless? Once again this video was INSIDE. You can accomplish low lying fog with a kitty liter bucket full of ice if you are going to do it inside or somewhere that has no breezes or people walking by. I think this video clearly illustrates how cool it is, but if you are doing a small haunt for one night a year outside this isn't a reasonable solution. That is just my opinion. Once again I will state that I think this is really cool, I just think it wouldn't be a great solution for outdoors.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.