Halloween Forum banner

refrigerator/freezer guts as chiller?

11012 Views 38 Replies 21 Participants Last post by  kentuckyspecialfx.com
has anyone tried this? Like disassembling say a chest freezer and using the refrigeration system as a chiller? I've been looking around on craigslist and classifieds ever since I came up with this idea a few days ago and found several freezers for insanely cheap

I know it will be some work but refilling ice gets tired and messy (and looks amateur), ice melts, dry ice is too pricey to go all nite, and ice only cools the fog to 32F whereas freezer coils would get it a bit cooler. In the end I would think if I could build a self-contained, reuseable contraption I would feel alot better about it

thoughts?
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Banned
505 Posts
Too complicated and not worth the trouble as yardjunkie posted in another post about making a elaborate chiller when the wind blows its not worth the trouble. Easiest and cheapest thing to do is a straight through design. Easiest is usually the best and i have been using the same design for years now and it works like a charm and very easy. Cooler 3inch duct fittings on either end and screen so the ice doesnt fall out. Fill it up and your set. No need for all those bends angles and what not. and the ice doesnt melt on me after 4 hours so......But its your choice :)

· Banned
505 Posts
Ok another thing is your not going to be able to buy freon without a license anyway and i dont know of anyone that would even refill after you took apart b/c the first question they are going to ask is what did you use to capture the freon or vent the freon into the air and thats a whole new can of worms you do not want to open.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.