Halloween Forum banner

refrigerator/freezer guts as chiller?

11017 Views 38 Replies 21 Participants Last post by  kentuckyspecialfx.com
has anyone tried this? Like disassembling say a chest freezer and using the refrigeration system as a chiller? I've been looking around on craigslist and classifieds ever since I came up with this idea a few days ago and found several freezers for insanely cheap

I know it will be some work but refilling ice gets tired and messy (and looks amateur), ice melts, dry ice is too pricey to go all nite, and ice only cools the fog to 32F whereas freezer coils would get it a bit cooler. In the end I would think if I could build a self-contained, reuseable contraption I would feel alot better about it

thoughts?
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Open up and say "Aaaaahh"
1,512 Posts
I think I read somewhere that the pump for freezers aren't strong enough to cool down hot fog fast enough to really work. I think you need something more along the lines of an air conditioner pump and coils. But that's if you want to build it. I would do what Toetag said, and keep it simple.

1,512 Posts
Oh, these guys aren't sounding very helpful, or supportive. I say go for it, if it doesn't work, throw it to the curb. Of course you want to do some research on the freezer, so when hacking in to it you don't rupture coolant lines and send refrigerant into the water supply. My one other thought is that Ice cream salt cools the melting point of ice to 2 degrees, or something to that affect. Hey, if no one tries it, how can we tell you it won't work. Just have fun doing it, that's what counts!
I support my fellow haunters with advice that saves time, money and aggravation. I see nothing "fun" about wasting the first two, while increasing the third. I also support good ideas, and I'll point out quickly when it's a bad one. Hacking a freezer for a fog chiller is a complete waste of time unless you haunt for more than one night a year. If you have pro haunt, or one for charity it might make sense, but I heard nothing along the lines of that implementation.

1,512 Posts
Jems Glaciator is nothing more than a mini freezer and fog machine, we have one and took it apart the day we got it just see what made it tick.
NOT WORTH 13K:mad:
Also somewhere in the halloween forum someone posted that froggys fog has done the same but on a much smaller scale for under a grand.
It's would be childs play to take a mini fridge / freezer and use a hopped up constant fogger and chill the fog.
It will work as long as you know how to transfer temperatures.
As long as you got a small fridge nothing more than 2.5cubic ft you should be ok as far as not blowing breakers.
Our glaciator has to have it's own 40amp breaker where ever you plug it in because a fogger and mini fridge draw some serious friggin wattage.
If.........If im feeling frisky next month I may run up to big box or walwart and grab a fridge and slice and dice the thing just to show you kiddies it can be done.
Even the $12K Glaciator from Jem has to be turned on for 15 to 20 minutes depending on the ambient temp before you go pushing fog, WHY?
Becuase the freezer plate inside has to get ice cold first not to mention the fogger inside has to heat up as well.
You wouldnt have to have coolant for the fridge, if your handy with a sawzaw then you can cut the cooler out of the fridge, it's all about how far are you willing to go.
Even I would have to think about this one just to prove a point.:cool:
I would like to see it done as well, for experimentational sake. No one said it couldn't be done, but whether it should be done. For one night on Halloween I wouldn't do it. For the sake of doing it as an experiment, sure!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.