Halloween Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know where I can find red light bulbs. I have looked several places and all I can find is the normal... black light bulbs. I find that the black lights are too dark I would like to try the red bulbs this year if I can find them.

·
Typical Ghoul Next Door
7,298 Posts
Home Depot, Lowes, Walgreens, Target, Wally World... any place that carries more than a few light bulbs should have red ones. I just bought one (25watt) red "party bulb" in Target last weekend.

(the cheapy bulbs that are called "black light bulbs" and look like regular incandescent bulbs are NOT true black lights. They are hazardous due to the extreme heat they put off - and only have the outside glass in common with true black lights. Look for the ones that are spiral or compact shaped FLOURSCENT black lights and you'll get a true black light bulb, and they are really cool)

http://www.halloweenforum.com/halloween-props/66005-black-light-101-a.html

:)

·
Registered
14,083 Posts
I assume you are looking for regular light bulbs, not flood or spot lights. If so saw these at DOLLAR TREE. 4 colors. Black light, red, green and blue. I was in a Big Lots or Walgreens the other day and pretty sure I saw them there too. Course Dollar Tree is just a $1.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was in my Dollar Tree and they did not have any black lights at all. I just checked the walgreens site and my store just around the corner has the red light bulbs. I never thought to look there. Thanks for all the suggestions!

·
Registered
340 Posts
the big home improvement stores around me have them in red, blue, green and yellow for a buck or so. I usually go to the Menards for mine because they have a big stock of them. These are the 60w incandescent bulbs I'm talking about but I've also seen them at Menards in CFL's now.

·
AKA - S.M. Barrett
1,084 Posts
I decided not to bother with hunting down all sorts of colors in various watt ratings and light bulb styles.

Now, I go to Michael's and buy Vitrea 160 Glass paint, glossy, in any color I want. One small bottle with coat a couple dozen bulbs of all shapes and sizes. I already have blue, green, red, orange and purple - cost per bulbs is a lot less, too, when you consider how many bulbs you can color with a single bottle.

·
Psychomaniac
623 Posts
Depending on how you're using them you might also want to consider LED bulbs. I switched almost all my colored incandescent lamps to LED last year and was very pleased with the results. One other thing to consider is fluorescent colored lamps. I know Home Depot has them in several colors. They run much cooler than incandescent bulbs and the color is much better.

·
Registered
144 Posts
spats - how 'deep' is the color you get from using your own painting technique? Do you put on just one coat?

For example, if you buy the super cheap red bulbs, you get this 'faded pink' looking color. Without switching to LEDs, I'd like to convert some white (or even re-paint colored) existing bulbs and get a deeper, richer, light.

How much does a bottle run?

·
Registered
122 Posts
Depending on how you're using them you might also want to consider LED bulbs. I switched almost all my colored incandescent lamps to LED last year and was very pleased with the results. One other thing to consider is fluorescent colored lamps. I know Home Depot has them in several colors. They run much cooler than incandescent bulbs and the color is much better.
Where did you get your LED lamps? Are they ones that you got dimmable?

-=coasterbp

1 - 11 of 11 Posts