Halloween Forum banner

61 - 80 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Fire pit with embers and flames

Made with Great Stuff, black spray paint, orange and red Christmas lights. Plastic wrap used as a barrier between Great Stuff and lights. After it dried, plastic removed to leave a removable shell. Also, a Flicker circuit, fan, 3 cloth flames, and red LED. The spit was made from rebar and metal to support a cast iron pot. Logs attached with screws for stabilization. Real rocks (heavy). Thanks to everyone for the ideas and inspiration. This was used for a western themed dance -- and was a hit!

Attachments

·
Registered
16 Posts
I don't check into this board enough, would have saved me some time! I just finished making my own logs using cardboard tubes as a base, cutting away some areas of the tubes, warming "crackle" plexiglass with a heat gun and curved and slide them into the tubes. Then I stuffed the closed end of the log with newspaper, covered with foam, carved and sanded to get the log look I wanted, then painted them to have the look I intended. Then used yellow transparent plastic to slide inside the tubes to further accent the yellow light.

I am arranged the orange LED lights for the glow bed tonight, will cover those with foam, set the logs into the "ash", cover the bottom of my cauldron with plastic food wrap and set it into the wet foam so it will have a stable indentation in the foam bed. Once the foam bed is dry, I'll remove the cauldron and plastic and then paint the ashes.

I'll post pictures of where I am right now in the build later tonight.

Andy

·
Registered
238 Posts
I don't check into this board enough, would have saved me some time! I just finished making my own logs using cardboard tubes as a base, cutting away some areas of the tubes, warming "crackle" plexiglass with a heat gun and curved and slide them into the tubes. Then I stuffed the closed end of the log with newspaper, covered with foam, carved and sanded to get the log look I wanted, then painted them to have the look I intended. Then used yellow transparent plastic to slide inside the tubes to further accent the yellow light.

I am arranged the orange LED lights for the glow bed tonight, will cover those with foam, set the logs into the "ash", cover the bottom of my cauldron with plastic food wrap and set it into the wet foam so it will have a stable indentation in the foam bed. Once the foam bed is dry, I'll remove the cauldron and plastic and then paint the ashes.

I'll post pictures of where I am right now in the build later tonight.

Andy
Cant wait to see

·
Registered
169 Posts
When working with greatstuff, can you spray it on something that it won't stick to? Not sure if I'm wording my question correctly...but, I mean, you wouldn't spray it directly on your garage floor obviously. Would you use a large piece of cardboard as your "working table" or a sheet of plastic, or something else?

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
I don't know what everyone else does but I always put wax paper under whatever I'm working on. It peels right off it after it's dry. I've yet to find anything that takes it off clothes or completely removes it from skin though. Dress accordingly and wear disposable gloves.

·
Registered
288 Posts
I don't know what everyone else does but I always put wax paper under whatever I'm working on. It peels right off it after it's dry. I've yet to find anything that takes it off clothes or completely removes it from skin though. Dress accordingly and wear disposable gloves.
Truth about the clothing. I have a ragged shirt that I still wear from time to time when doing intense yard work. This shirt has some foam on it still from 2 years ago.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Fire pit with embers and flames

Made with Great Stuff, black spray paint, orange and red Christmas lights. Plastic wrap used as a barrier between Great Stuff and lights. After it dried, plastic removed to leave a removable shell. Also, a Flicker circuit, fan, 3 cloth flames, and red LED. The spit was made from rebar and metal to support a cast iron pot. Logs attached with screws for stabilization. Real rocks (heavy). Thanks to everyone for the ideas and inspiration. This was used for a western themed dance -- and was a hit!
I have a decent home made cauldron, but curious where you found the cast iron pot...would love to get one.
20171029_151350.jpg

·
Registered
115 Posts
What would be good is taking a 2litre bottle (or 2) in place of the chicken wire. This would give you more water proof protection. You could use clear packaging tape to hold them together, cutting hole in end to push in lights.

Think I will give this a try for my cauldron fire/embers.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Love the concept, here is my versions.
I used plastic water bottle and 2x plastic jars I got from dollar store. I then put bark from a dead tree in my yard.

Use Greatstuff to adhear the bark to the bottle.

Larger one (2 plastic cookie jars from dollar store).

Smaller on (large water bottle):

61 - 80 of 81 Posts