Halloween Forum banner

41 - 60 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
288 Posts
I wonder if we could do a group buy from Dow on the Great Stuff? Idk about the rest of you, but I've got a project or two that I could use a case or so on easily. :)
We should look into this as an option for those who use large amounts of expanding foam. http://www.ebay.com/itm/HANDI-FOAM-P10600-Spray-Foam-Kit-II-12-/190895007662?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2c723aa7ae The same company <Handi Foam> has even larger kits that go up in price past 500.00 should you need to create a castle out of 2 part foam.

·
A 1 man army of darkness
2,586 Posts
I'd love to jp, but the discount would have to be substantial in my opinion. Personally, I think their products compared to other 2 part systems is a bit outlandish on the prices, and that's pretty much universally true for all of the two part systems. To say their prices are a bit steep, might be a bit of an understatement.

I've been looking at other A-B foam systems used in the boat building business, and they're a good deal less expensive, at the cost of being a bit less easy to apply. You'd be on your own for sourcing a spray system that's designed for foam, and they are expensive, that being the downside. If you were talking pouring into a mold though, you'd save a bunch...

Slightly greater than 50 cu.ft. for the Foam It 602 kit for $627 -vs- 40 cu.ft. for $259 here. http://www.carbonfiberglass.com/Foam-Core/expanding-foam-ab-2-part I'm pretty sure I could shop around and beat that price @ CarbonFiberglass, given more than a few minutes of searching too.

The question is whether convenience (read: ease of application) is worth the price premium to the individual persons interested in it? To me, no, but that answer will vary with each person.

·
Registered
288 Posts
I am going out to try my el cheapo soda bottle deal as a structure.

This time I will use a heat gun so they do not look so perfect, then wrap them in a paper towel to give something to cling to.

Cut the ends off <so I can use them in my Coals> and tape across the top and bottom openings to get a flat surface.

I'll post back tomorrow to see how and if this works.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
Hey....all those clear plastic sleeves are exactly what I used. My sleeve was too slender so my logs were like small round logs.
I would suggest to you making these to have a thick enough foam wall and or enough paint to block out some light.....the light comes through
the foam brightly.

OCTart

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
Couldn't you use the clear tube for fluorescent lights. They slip over the bulbs to protect them.
The tubes for fluorescent lights are Too tough to cut (fiberglass) so if you used them in the full length.....would be AWESOME.

I actually have SIX here at home not in use:D

·
Registered
13,618 Posts
I know Great Stuff comes in a few different types and seem to remember one flattens out more and takes longer to dry. What did you use?

BTW nice effect.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Beautiful effect! I did not have a need for anything like this until a couple weeks ago when my wife suggested a scene with a campfire and I suddenly had to make one with real logs and some flickerbulbs stuffed underneath. I'm definitely going to use your technique for the same scene next year, thanks for sharing!!

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
So..I wanted to make a foam fireplace last summer with these logs but like some of you I was unsure of a base for the logs. I was in Joann's one day and walked by the plastic rectangular needle craft pieces. (I think that's what they're used for. lol) I picked up one, rolled it into a circle and thought of these logs. They also had ready made circular pieces I could use for the ends so I picked them up. I trimmed both to the log size I wanted and formed it with sporadic pieces of green craft wire holding the ends together, utilizing the holes. Pushing the circle piece slightly into the ends gave it the perfect log shape. I great foamed it leaving one of the ends off and just spraying foam on it separately. This enabled me to place the lights in the log with access to turn them on and off. I just placed the end back on after turning them on. I did end up also using a few little pieces of wire to attach the lights to help them stay more evenly inside the logs and also did this before I foamed them. I don't know if anyone else is crazy enough to use this idea but it did work. I don't have any in progress photos but this is the clearest shot I have of them in use.

Attachments

41 - 60 of 81 Posts