Halloween Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm already planning my yard display for next year and I really like this lighting trick I saw on Stiltbeast Studios youtube page

So I want to make a bunch of props & signs that in blue light look somewhat friendly/normal, but in red light look super scary.

For example: a large sign where the trick-or-treaters come up the drive way that says "Happy Halloween" in blue, then switches to "BEWARE! Go Back!" with a skull and crossbones in red.

I'm going to get a bunch of lighting, put it all on a system to flash back and forth between red and blue randomly.

Anyways, I was hoping to get your ideas on different props & signs that I could do with this method.

Thanks!

·
Registered
69 Posts
There are plenty of systems out there that can accomplish what you need to do. I personally use anything DMX. Its very universal, tons of control options including hardware and software controllers, and it's been around for decades.

Specifically for the project you had listed above, I would only use LED's as they are much sharper than any thing else out there. Also instead of a quick switch from red to blue, you can also cross fade the two for a really cool effect. One thing that would also add to the effect is if you incorporated black light as well, it does wonders.

If your on a budget, I would recommend a 10 watt RGB LED flood on ebay or amazon for around $10-$15. It comes with a remote that easily switches to different colors. That's a good start to start to play around with your idea.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the tips! I like the idea of the cross fade, maybe I could mix in several different transitions.

I had another idea for a prop that could take advantage of this technique. I'm going to set up a "lemonade stand" in my yard. Two kids sitting at a table in my front yard with a sign that says "Lemonade : 25 cents", but when it switches to the red light the kids turn into skeletons and the sign changes to "Vampire Blood : $6.66" , or something like that.

Anyone else have ideas for other props or displays that would work well for this?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts