Halloween Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the best way to go about recording scares in my haunt? I would like to position 2-3 cameras/recording devices in low-light to very low light. I want to be able to edit the video to put on my facebook haunt page, so that those the enter can actually view their responses. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
I was told recently that a person can get in big trouble making a video of people if they did not give permission, it falls under the illegal wire tapping, and even if you have a surveilance camera pointed towards someone else's house or property, this can also bring big trouble if they want to push it. The local bar had video surveilance cameras but turned off the sound recording part because recording what is assumed to be private conversations in that situation is also a "No-No".
I have a sticky ticket for admission here that states they give me permission to use any photographic likeness I may take while they are in my house. The very first season I had cameras a customer who I caught stealing was going to sue me because he said I had punched him, the video tape showed I had a civil conversation with him before he left the room, no such threat or physical thing happened at all, he went to jail that night, not me!
I suggest you look into this more before you put up cameras.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was told recently that a person can get in big trouble making a video of people if they did not give permission, it falls under the illegal wire tapping, and even if you have a surveilance camera pointed towards someone else's house or property, this can also bring big trouble if they want to push it. The local bar had video surveilance cameras but turned off the sound recording part because recording what is assumed to be private conversations in that situation is also a "No-No".
I have a sticky ticket for admission here that states they give me permission to use any photographic likeness I may take while they are in my house. The very first season I had cameras a customer who I caught stealing was going to sue me because he said I had punched him, the video tape showed I had a civil conversation with him before he left the room, no such threat or physical thing happened at all, he went to jail that night, not me!
I suggest you look into this more before you put up cameras.
I followed a few people with a camera last year and they loved seeing their reactions. Of course I asked first. I have recently made a large posted sign that tells people to check out the Facebook sight of my haunt to see their scares. I guess I could have them sign a consent before entering the maze. There is always amoment to wait while the previous group is going in.

·
Registered
244 Posts
If you're just recording video, and it is on your private property, a simple sign stating "Smile, you're on video" is sufficient to allow you to record them. Posting the video publicly is another matter. As most reality shows do, you can have them sign a release either before or after the event. I would not post any video from anyone that didn't sign the release unless there is zero chance they are identifiable. Extra care must be taken if you are actually using the video to advertise your haunt. Posting it on facebook for fun is one thing, posting it in the hopes of increasing profit is quite another.

To be safe, show them the video afterwards and have them sign something that says they allow you to use it on your facebook site.

·
Registered
400 Posts
I found this DVR and Camera setup available on EBay to be the best quality for the money however on an unlimited budget there are much better solutions. I have run 2 of these DVRs and 8 cameras 24/7 for over 2 years without any problems. Your mileage may vary. We control my home haunt props from the comfort of the living room. I worked really hard on my lamp post setup. http://www.snydercentral.com/halloween/Halloween2013.mp4
nw00.jpg
nw01.jpg
nw02.jpg
nw03.jpg

1 - 9 of 9 Posts