Halloween Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Creepin' It Real
2,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You know how sometimes you see something that knocks you backward in awe? That's how I feel after a friend introduced me to this detail from the ceiling at the City Hospital in Bamberg Germany. I must replicate the theme of this piece in prop form.

Overall it looks simple enough, but given my sad, sad history with fog machines I want some input from the experienced before I spend any more of my ramen noodle money. It must be reliable, and hopefully small enough that I can run relatively small tubing through the skeleton and into a wand in his hands.

·
Registered
13,632 Posts
Cool plaster relief BlueFrog. Pictures R Great! I can see why you like it. As for a stand-alone prop and getting a bubble machine to effectively fit in a wand in order to pump out the bubbles, I'm not sure you can get that to happen on such a small scale of a wand. But others here might know better. I've seen bubblers and bubble fog makers in action and doubt you could send a formed bubble down a tube to the end without it breaking, and can't see the rotating wands and reservoir of bubble fluid fitting into the design anywhere near the end. But good luck and thanks for sharing a cool photo.

Kind of funny reminder to those in the hospital that death is nearby and just passing the time until he can claim you. But this is in a hospital in the country that gave us Grimm Fairy Tales for little kids!

The only thing I can envision is if you constructed something like the relief on a box or wall and you'd have the bubbler mounted on the opposite side of the box or wall with an opening for the bubble clearance located at the point where the wand tip is basically. The machine, cord, bubble solution would be housed in the back where undoubtedly you'd have to refill and service the machine. Only issue I'd see would be that the bubbles would flow out towards you, not to the right side. That could look rather weird.

Don't have any recommendations for a bubbler. Probably a DJ version would be among the most reliable. I think a fog bubbler would look the best since the bubbles would be white like the skeleton but those machines can be hit or miss with results.

·
Creepin' It Real
2,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for your input, Ghost of Spookie. I should have been clearer: I'm planning to use a skeleton prop and simply outfit him with the accoutrements seen in the relief. If I tried to do that as a relief, I'd just sculpt the bubbles as in the original.

Apparently the hospital was originally a monastery, hence the rather macabre detail, but I can just see some doctor saying "Either this procedure works or.... " and pointing to the skele on the ceiling!

·
Registered
13,632 Posts
No, I did get that actually and gave my answer to a stand-alone prop in the first paragraph. The only way I can see it working would be done as a relief on a wall where the mechanism is hidden behind a wall. Sorry if I was too wordy to make that clear. Brevity alludes me much of the time!

·
Creepin' It Real
2,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
And indeed you did. Brain power eludes me much of the time! :)

·
Registered
105 Posts
I have this bubble fogger from Spirit:

http://www.gearfuse.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/09/bubble_fogger.jpg

It's pretty awesome, but what we found was that you have to elevate it or else the bubbles will fall out the front and straight onto the table/ground or whatever the bubble fogger is sitting on. We put ours in our garage last year, on top of a shelving unit and put a mini fan behind it. When it made bubbles, the fan blew them out into the garage where people were playing games. Much more fun than having them just fall to the ground in front of the fogger. Also, the bubbles leave a residue on where they pop, so inside was not an option for us.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts