Halloween Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,783 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for a good solar light, or light set for an upcoming build.

NOT a spotlight, otherwise I can probably make it work, just want it to give off a good amount of light, not like those little crystal sculptures on a stick with a color changing bulb in them.

Amber if it's colored, but figure I can color a white one how I want.

BONUS points if there is several lights that can hook to one of the bigger solar panels.

Anyway, just looking for a good reliable light, and don't really know much about them, so any recommendations are greatly appreciated.

·
Prop Master
728 Posts
Try your local home depot/lowes that kind of store. I used to work for home depot and the had a bunch of different kinds of solar lights, from those stupid little stake in the grounds to full solar powered wall sconce. i myself have been considering getting rid of the electrical cords and going solar.

·
Super Moderator
5,783 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My problem is most those in the stores are not ON, so you really don't know how bright the thing in the package is going to be or how long the batteries last, etc. Hoping someone has experience with some can recommend a good one.

This thing is going to be out where there is no power, so have to go solar.

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
Beginning last Summer I was buying a solar light sets from Menards. It had three cast aluminum spot lights, very heavy-duty,very bright. The solar collector is only maybe 5 by 8 inches but does a great job, making very bright light all night long.
I have one set throwing their light well over 25 feet illuminating my 40 foot high "Witch's Hat" tower. It is a dimmer look, from that distance but I like that. Another set shines upon the Pterodactyl Skeleton on the South side of my house, VERY brightly! Another set shows the big steel skull at the West side of the house. Yest another set is on the main roof spread around pointing at three walls of the cupola.(Nobody can see the fourth, north side anyway.)
They come with water-proof connections you screw together and ample lengths of wire to do pretty much whatever you may have in mind.
I also have a set inside my Spooky car making it possible now to see the "Guy" I have seated in the passenger seat at night.The collector seems to work well from inside the car as long as it gets the sun.
The price kept falling on these units each time I came back to the store. $37. $27-$18 with a rebate?
As I am typing this two of them are not working but then, I live in Northern Illinois and it has been cloudy.
There are 8? Solar Zones in the USA and I live in the tippy-top of number 7 bordering 8-=== Florida is number 1.Zone.
Also I love the fact that these lights are automatic and of course use no on-line current. The light thrown from 10-15 feet away looks as bright as 115 volts to my old eyes. It is a "White" Light,some may not like that, but I think it tends to look more "Spooky'.
I bought a spare set, good thing, a kid broke a collector by total accident.
I made mounting brackets for some of these lights using pvc conduit / 1inch steel conduit to hold the collector in one instance.
I just hope the batteries in these are not like some of the electric drill batteries that can freeze and break, since it is only 14 degrees here right now.??
Say it isn't so!

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
The Reason I put those wires in conduit

A few times is because the wires are extremely thin and they are mounted where squirrels or raccoons could do some chewing on them, if the mood struck..

1 - 5 of 5 Posts