Halloween Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
The Halloween King
626 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've been having the same nightmare for 2 years now. First happens as early as April which when it first happens is odd, as Halloween is so far away. How the dream progresses sometimes has different scenarios in it, but usually follows a similar pattern.

It starts with me either waking up or being in the middle of a a typical day, and then all of a sudden i realize it's 8pm on Halloween...i'm confused, shocked, and upset that i've somehow not realized, and missed the entire day, none of my decorations are up, i've not even bought any pumpkins, there's no time to go and get everything from storage and set it all up TOT'ing will be almost over.

It sounds stupid but it's such a sad and depressing feeling, it feels so real. It's such a relief when i finally wake up and realize i've not missed it after all haha.

Anyone else have anything similar?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Your not alone, i have the same nightmare only in mine its halloween afternoon and i'm looking in my storage building and trying to figure what i can throw out in about 30minutes

·
Going bump in the night..
3,388 Posts
Nowhere near alone with this nightmare - lots of us have a variation on it.
Items in common in these nightmares:
It's October 31st in the dream (or the night of the "big Halloween party" someone always puts on).
It's later in the day (afternoon or early evening).
The Trick or Treatrer's are on their way (people see them coming up the street or something similar).
Nothing has been put out for decorations yet.
Panic ensues.

Strangely, I have never had it go any further than the scrambling about of finding things for decoration before it's too late.
Anyone else ever have the dream play itself out, with the horrible experience of having to tell the ToT's there's no Halloween this year?

·
Registered
118 Posts
I've had this dream several times a year since I have been haunting- almost 30 years! This is very common; there are threads on here all the time about it.

·
Imitation Imagineer
1,114 Posts
Yep, it's pretty common....I have some variation of it a few times a year.

However, this past week, I had a new version. In this dream, Halloween was right around the corner, but instead of getting out all of the necessary props and decorations, my wife got out all of the Christmas stuff instead. By the time I woke up, I'd imagined the entire house festooned in Christmas decorations, and no access to the Halloween bins.

I was glad to wake up from that one...
:)

·
Registered
16 Posts
I thought it was just me! In the dream I realize I've wasted not just the day, but the whole season. No movies, no special TV episodes, no books, no parties, etc.

I have this dream a lot of the time with Christmas too.

·
Suburban Sorceress
753 Posts
Every year I have this dream! It's always Halloween night, the kids are already coming to the door, and no lights are on. I'm frantically running around trying to turn everything on, and hand out candy at the same time. I'm always so mad, thinking "what happened to all of my planning?!".

·
Registered
928 Posts
I always get this 'but I had all these plans!' feeling of hopelessness.

Mine is always the day of my party and I look around and remember all the cool things I had planned to do and just barely anything is out. I get crazy motivated to go into overdrive and get things done and then my friends start showing up and depression hits hard when I realize that its too late to do anything.

Then I wake up and I am so so so happy that it was just a dream!

I had the same type of ones leading up to my wedding.

·
Registered
19 Posts
WOW I had a very similar dream about a week ago . The TOTS were coming down the street no props no lights no candy! I made a mad dash for walmart with my daughter all we could find for candy was a few suckers and 2 packages of certs. Glad to hear I 'm not alone in my madness. Thanks everyone for sharing.

·
Wisp in the Mist
1,953 Posts
I used to have those dreams, but since I've kind of missed out on decorating for the last four years, I rarely have them anymore. I guess it's because it became reality, in a sense. I planned to have Halloween all of those years, but things got in the way. I never did forget though, which is what usually happens in the dreams.

I almost wish I could have the dream again, because usually I have really cool decorations that I don't actually own. It gives me ideas for things I'd like to have in the future! I hated the dreams till I missed a Halloween or two, though. Now I'm just used to it. "Maybe next year" is my mantra. Right now, it's "Maybe THIS year." ;) (I hope!)

·
The Halloween King
626 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the replies guys. Makes me glad to see it's a shared thing. It's weird though. A lot of the things you guys have mentioned feature in my dreams. Like rushing to the store and there being only a couple of really crap things left.

Suppose we should be thankful for them, makes sure you actually do plan it and get everything ready in enough time. No one wants to be caught with their pants down.

·
Registered
322 Posts
I had the dream last night. It's Halloween morning and I realized I was not ready. All of my decorations were still above my garage and i have no candy. I'm franticly trying to set up some of my displays but can't find any of my skeletons. Time it ticking away and the TOTs are arriving. Then I wake up.

·
Registered
209 Posts
I feel like I could have written this myself. Now that I have kids, it happens more frequently. Its so important to me to share these experiences with my children. They are young yet, but my son is just as crazy about it as me. I would hate for him to miss out on the fun! I believe that's why I have them so frequently.

YOU ARE NOT ALONE!

·
Registered
22 Posts
I have had this dream! I've had this one and others like it where the main issue is that I'm just not prepared for something. It's so stressful! Whether it's decorating for Halloween, not knowing lines for a play, or not studying for a test it all feels the same. PANIC.

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
So, my Haunt is open every night of the year, I have 29 years now of work to show them, so why have I sometimes had a dream about doing this all over again in some really nasty location, a rotted old shack down some side-street in who knows what town? Everything is going wrong, I'm trying to be and do too many things at the same time, people are basically just in my way, frustrating my efforts....

·
Registered
460 Posts
I don't have have these kinds of nightmares, but they sound very similar to dreams of other artists I know (such as being at a convention or other event and realizing they've made nothing to sell), and also the classic being at a test you haven't studied for. I think it's the brain trying to imagine what the worst could be so you know what to expect.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts