Halloween Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! I want to raise a 60 or 70 pound object up and down via wireless remote control for Halloween. Gonna be up in a tree. A big spider. Winches don't appear expensive, but units with an included wireless remote seem to be. At least $200. I suspect the best value would be to buy the wireless remote separately, but my electronics skills are non-existent, so it would have to be a pretty simple pairing.

Any suggestions?

I'd love to get something for under $150. Wired remote won't work as I want to do it from my porch and the tree I want to use is separated by a driveway.

Thank you very much!

Mike

·
Registered
3,704 Posts
Just wanna chime in my thoughts on this, I'm not sure dangling a 60 pound object possibly over people and raising it up and down is a good idea. That's enough weight to kill someone if things go wrong. Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
A valid point. That had occurred to me. I don't do anything half-way. It's only gonna go up to about 8 or 10 feet, I will fence off the area beneath it (I can make a family cemetery plot!) and I will reinforce the (very substantial) tree limb by nailing a couple of 2x4's from the dangle point up at an angle to the trunk.

Also, thanks for the Harbor Freight recco! I think I saw that. I forgot to mention that I was looking for AC. But, in a pinch, that and a cheapo battery are not a bad idea.

·
Registered
3,704 Posts
Didn't mean to imply that you would do anything halfway, even things that are done right can go wrong. I'd make absolutely sure that no one can possibly get under it. Again, just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I agree - don't let TOTs anywhere near the underside of the prop. Also be aware that winches usually move very slow - make sure that a slow speed is what you want.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Yeah - instead of looking for a winch to hoist 70lbs I would suggest you find a way to grossly reduce the weight of the spider. If you do that, then the cost and complexity of controlling it will come way down and the number of options will be much greater.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts