Halloween Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
RIP

IMG_3515.jpg

My poor monster met a bad end last year during a storm. He fell on his face and it got smooshed in. An arm fell off. It was all kinds of not great.

Originally his face and arms were made of polycrylic paper mache. The arms survived with minimal damage and I am going to reuse them. I am going to use an actual large plastic skull and black worbla to remake his head. Still doing the teeth with apoxie sculpt.

The first version of the monster's body is foam and fabric over chicken wire. This is a large part of the problem as the wire mesh ended up being heavier than I had anticipated.

My question for you all is what should I use to give structure to his chest with less weight?

I was thinking maybe empty (well full of air) sealed gallon jugs attached to the central PVC pipe. Anyone ever try something like that?

The other weight issue was the fabric absorbed too much water and I know that was what really killed him. I am going to be treating it with Never Wet this time, hope that will protect him.

I also have a different base design which will be much heavier and more sturdy. The PVC pipe base on the stand I used last year just fell apart when he tipped over.

I doubt I will get him done in time for this year, but I'd love to have him packed ready to go for next year before it gets too cold to work in the garage.

·
Registered
582 Posts
It's hard to tell just from a single picture, but it depends on how your prop moves and operates. Is the body translucent? Because if so, that really limits what you can make the frame out of. If not, then using EVA foam, put together with contact cement, over PVC pipe., works well. It's flexible and lightweight and it can be sealed with plasti-dip or flex-seal to make it waterproof. Because it's not as rigid, it can make motion look more natural.

Of course, the secret to making a prop stable is to have a very stable base. Use, at the very least, 3/4" PVC, probably 1" and give it a wide stance that you can either bolt down or weight in some way, or have stuck into the ground, usually using rebar over which you put the PVC. Make sure it can't move and is strong enough to support the weight. You can also get a sheet of 3/4" plywood to bolt the structure to, then you just put rocks or sandbags on it under your prop or disguised and it's not going anywhere. Cut to the appropriate size for your application. You can waterproof the fabric pretty easily, Rustoleum makes a spray on liquid repellent that works pretty well, although around here, I don't have to worry about rain or anything like that over Halloween, so YMMV.

Good luck to you. Looks like a good prop!

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Almost there.jpg

Here's another image to give a bit better of size.

The chicken wire goes from his shoulders down to where the bits start trailing off. I don't know maybe he's just going to be heavy a.f. and I need to plan accordingly. He is really damn tall. I might be able to reuse the body if I just accept it and really weigh down the base with some of my heavy dumbbells and plates, make holes to stake it into the ground.

He is a static prop. All the movement is simulated by wire in the floaty bits. I don't do moving stuff, just never got into it and they seem really fragile.

·
Super Moderator
5,741 Posts
Love him. Strong work.

Myself...

I've seen a 5 gallon bucket hacked up to make a chest. You can heat gun the sides to shape it. You mentioned warbola. A few strips might be enough to flesh out the chest (though I don't know the cost there)

I've had very good luck with flax seal clear for the waterproofing: http://www.halloweenforum.com/product-reviews/144045-flex-seal-clear.html

I'm also a fan of EMT conduit instead of PVC pipe for frames. But, the tools to get going with that aren't always cheap.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have a good bit of the black worbla but it's fairly dense and gets heavy in large pieces.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts