Halloween Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's some pics of my cemetery fence before and after. Originally I used 1/2 inch pvc conduit for the uprights, and 1 X 2 inch furing strips for the rails. The problem was the wood split easily on the ends making it hard to fasten the sections together. The new fence reuses the 1/2 inch uprights and uses 3/4 inch pvc conduit for the rails. I built a jig to hold the rail in place so all the holes would be in line. Used a 7/8 inch spade bit in the drill press. Yes those are the correct sizes. The pvc pipes are rated by inside measurement, so the 1/2 pipe fits VERY snug in the 7/8 inch holes, and the hole has to be close to perfectly centered as the spade bit does cut into the sides of the pipe a little. I used a half round file to smooth out the plastic burrs and sharp edges. Drilled a small pilot hole and set my driver to the lowest setting to keep the screws from hurting the side wall. Still need to get it painted. Seems to be sturdier than the wood. I bought 5 ft plant shepherd hooks from Big Lots to use as posts. Plan is to bolt the pipe connectors to the shepherd hooks and slide the sections in place. When I get a chance I'll take a picture of the jig, and of course the finished fence once it's up around October 1st.

Attachments

·
Caretaker of Eerie Manor
6,492 Posts
Interesting. Never saw this done before. I'm looking forward to seeing the thing set up. Nice job!

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Here's some pics of the jig I made for making the fence rails. I used a 2X6 for the form and then used single screw pipe holders to keep the pipe in place. I marked a spot on the 2X6 and labeled it 12 inches. That way I measure 12 inches from the end of my pipe and mark it then line it up with my labeled mark. Marked the form with a line at each upright location. Moved my form and lined up the drill bit with the line and then centered it side to side. The only real problem was I short two of the pipe holders and the end holes moved around a bit.

Attachments

1 - 6 of 6 Posts