Halloween Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im familiar with the method of front projecting this effect and I've see the patent images for the Madam Leota head projection that uses a lens to warp the image to fit the face correctly.

Can someone provide some details on how to do this and what i would need.

·
Registered
683 Posts
From what I read, the current iteration involves a projector mounted very near to Leota's head, most likely inside the neck, pointed using mirrors and fills out the face with a special lens.

For the home version, you would either need a small pico projector (and project from within the head) or a way to hide the a standrad-sized projector from behind leota. You could use mirrors to angle the image possibly towards the face but it would be tricky (but maybe doable). Placing the projector on the ground two 45 degree mirrors (one for the image to go up, the second for the image to project onto the face.

Making the face by using a vacuum mold. use clear plastic and lightly spray white onto to create the projection surface.

Here's and instructable for diy vacuum molding
http://www.instructables.com/id/Make-a-good,-cheap,-upgradeable-sheet-plastic-vacu/

Victor

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I saw that, but to expensive, this is in a way a project id like to try and utilize my own character(s)

Im most interested it the lens being used, any thoughts?

·
Registered
683 Posts
Dont bother with the lens. its a specialty piece use by HM engineers to solve a size and location issue with leota.

For your home use, start with the projector. Get a static or even talking image of leota (plenty of places to get it online free). Project onto the wall and mark how far the projector is to the size of leota you want. use zoom if necessary or if available on your projector. Once you have that measurement, create your vacuum mold to the size face you've decided upon.

From there, work on how to either project it from the rear firing directly at the face or use mirrors to angle the image if the projector is to be mounted from below, such as under the table.

From Mr. Chicken's video, you can clearly see the projector light mounted behind the head. The only annoying thing is that the face is a little more opaque that I'd like, so from a certain angle the projector light overwhelms the image.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
From Mr. Chicken's video, you can clearly see the projector light mounted behind the head. The only annoying thing is that the face is a little more opaque that I'd like, so from a certain angle the projector light overwhelms the image.
I figured he was also using a lens of some sort to make the sides of the face wrap properly, not that you mention it i notice the hotspot, but his filming angle seems to hide that.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ill have to try that when i get around to finding the right face shape i like, or decide to make my own.

Thanks Victor

1 - 9 of 9 Posts