Halloween Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am planning to rear project an AtmosFearRx ghosts dvd through my large set of crypt doors/wall. The wall will sit in front of our garage. One door will be open, the other closed. The projector will project from within. I'd hope that the material used as the projection surface would not be seen like a white sheet against the darkness of the garage interior and I am sure a frosted shower liner will reflect ambient light from the street lights and house lights. I am considering some kind of black woven material that is inexpensive (under $20) Has anyone had any success with specific material in a likewise set-up.

Skrim and the real Rear Projection material run into the $90-$150 dollar range so that is off the table.

DSC02616.jpg

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
yeah I have used that black weed material from home depot for the big scream tv and it worked.
I havent used it on a projection, but it should work.

·
Registered
527 Posts
You might try projecting on the white material set back from the door opening, and then have a scrim covering the door entrance to hide it.
You will have a loss of brightness with a dark material which could be good or bad depending on the ambient lighting and the lumens of your projector.
Pete

·
Registered
632 Posts
I've used the cheap thin black plastic tablecloths. They have a matte finish and are transparent enough to allow rear projection.

·
Registered
259 Posts
You can use "frosted" shower curtain from Wal-Mart. I've done that in the past and it works very well. But I can really recommend this company:
http://www.carlofet.com/clearance-projector-screens/69x122in-rpf-raw-remnant.html
They are a great company to do buisness with. The owner takes pride in his work. I've bought from him many times. I do an "Outdoor Movie Night" every weekend in the summer and early fall for my friends and family. And I've used his "rear projection" material, and its great!

~Cheers!

·
Registered
326 Posts
I purchased a black muslin backdrop (the kind photographers use for backdrops) from Amazon for use for a standard projection in my yard. The link is here [CowboyStudio 100% Cotton 10' X 20' Black Muslin Backdrop Seamless(http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001SLKUOG/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1#)]. The material is very thin and should work well for a rear projection if you are using a reasonably bright projector. There are smaller sizes and cheaper options available on Amazon. Worst case scenario is you could order it, try it and if it does not work return it.

I hope this helps. Good luck.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you all for the suggestions! I will look into the garden weed block material - however that may be too thick to allow a clear image but worth a try as it is cheap.

The AtmosFearFX DVD and my projector produce a really clear image projected forward on any surface. My projector is designed for large viewing so the lumens are pretty intense. It's the read projection I'm concerned about.

I'm not sure about the shower curtain idea as that could easily produce a glare from the ambient light from the street lights. I'm trying to avoid that. However the backlight screens would be perfect but I'm unable to spend the $40 + shipping for the material. I've got to keep my expenses down this year.

The thin black plastic tablecloths.... dollar store item... sounds like a possibility but the sheen may produce a glare as well. I may pick some up for testing.

The idea of placing white sheets back from the door may be a solution. My issue with white is that it illuminates the entire sheet and looks like a projection.
I may do that with all the material just to give the ghost projection some added depth.

I recently tested on a black screen used for screen doors. It does work but the weave of he screen is just a little to loose to produce a sharp image.

Thanks again for the ideas....

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you all for the suggestions! I will look into the garden weed block material - however that may be too thick to allow a clear image but worth a try as it is cheap.

The AtmosFearFX DVD and my projector produce a really clear image projected forward on any surface. My projector is designed for large viewing so the lumens are pretty intense. It's the read projection I'm concerned about.

I'm not sure about the shower curtain idea as that could easily produce a glare from the ambient light from the street lights. I'm trying to avoid that. However the backlight screens would be perfect but I'm unable to spend the $40 + shipping for the material. I've got to keep my expenses down this year.

The thin black plastic tablecloths.... dollar store item... sounds like a possibility but the sheen may produce a glare as well. I may pick some up for testing.

The idea of placing white sheets back from the door may be a solution. My issue with white is that it illuminates the entire sheet and looks like a projection.
I may do that with all the material just to give the ghost projection some added depth.

I recently tested on a black screen used for screen doors. It does work but the weave of he screen is just a little to loose to produce a sharp image.

Thanks again for the ideas....

·
Registered
683 Posts
A few year ago when I did a halloween setup I was faced with a similar issue: Projecting through an entrance but allowing people to enter without going around the screen. I ended up with this solution. Similar to what you see at warehouses when you are trying to enter a refrigerated area, i cut the projection screen into strips.

When untouched the strips are straight enough to allow projection but you can walk through it without having to go around or ruining the screen.

Try this setup with the black table cloth mentioned above. As long as your projector is bright enough (and it will have to be to image on black) you should come out with a decent image and have people go through your entryway

Victor

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well done Victor. Good solution. I won't have a need for anyone to go through the door as we are not haunting the garage this year. I will be testing the black weed block material and then the black plastic tablecloth as well. I shall report back.

Cannot afford the $50+ muslin this year....

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yes it does. However I need to test to the cheaper options first. The muslin may be the best option but the extra costs falls outside of my limited expenses this year.

Having high hopes for the weed black material. (i believe my wife has some extra to test on)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts