Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Vintage Halloween'er
2,994 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
000_9695.jpg

I needed something quick and very cheap..the boxes were used...my sister had dolls sent to her in them, (but any boxes should work) I had a styrafoam cooler that I cut up...lots of gorilla glue, then duck tape..my monster mud was way to thick so I used a putty knife like stucco (I like the way it cracked) painted it gray...dryer lint and green craft paint for moss and going to seal it with something like drylock to protect it for a year until I have time to make better ones!

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
I have been saving diaper & baby wipes boxes in the hopes of doing something similar this year! LOL! My dream columns for the end of my driveway have not been possible since having two kids (mostly due to no time & certainly less money!), so I'm working under the premise that something is better than nothing! I think yours turned out great & they give me hope that I won't actually be disappointed with my "temporary" columns, so thanks for posting!

·
Registered
429 Posts
I am thinking of going to the local carpet shop and getting a couple of cardboard tubes they roll carpet around to make some. Storage is an issue though...

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Came back to search for this post today since I've got a bunch of my boxes together and wanted to double check how you did yours. If all goes well, I might get to work on it next weekend. Like I said before, I'm so glad you posted this because it makes me feel a lot more confident that the "cheap box column" plan can really turn out looking really nice!

·
Blue Pill? or Red Pill?
4,090 Posts
I did this several years back, but i kept the flaps of the boxes open on either side, and slid them onto the next box and duct taped them all together. That way the whole structure wouldn't fall.
It looks perfect kellow- make sure you seal team with several coats of dry lock. Any humidity /rain will start making them soggy.
Actually, I just thought - if you have any wood or long pieces of foam, you can attach one or two along the whole length of the box for support on the inside.

·
Typical Ghoul Next Door
6,714 Posts
I made cardboard columns many years ago and painted them with a mix of latex and mortar mix ( my own blend of monster mud and the texture looks like stone). They have been out in torrential downpours when I wasn't able to get them pulled up and inside the garage in time, and they are still going strong. I think as long as you seal them really well, and pay attention to when the serious rains are coming and put them up during that time, they can survive most light rains and other exposures. I keep thinking I'll need to replace them each year, and still haven't yet.

This year, I have heavy cardboard mailing tubes (really large ones) for columns (theme change - circus), and I painted them up and figure they'll last the same as the others. Cardboard is remarkably resilient with a small amount of paint to protect the surface.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Those look great! I opted for something more sturdy because I keep my stuff out for a month or sometimes more and we have weather, but those look awesome.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I've done this with twelve pack soda boxes but yeah, you get one season out of it and then it's pretty much toast by the end. I like these a lot. Maybe you could find some dollar store skulls to attach and paint over to give it some more visual detail. :)

1 - 20 of 28 Posts