Halloween Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Wisp in the Mist
1,953 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I know that the Bucky skeleton is best (even in 4th quality like mine), but they're expensive.

I'm wondering which of the cheaper realistic skeletons you all prefer, and why.

I bought a "Wally" from Walgreens last year, and he was OK, but seems less realistic than the Costco skeletons.

We don't have a Costco, and I decided to not order one online last year. I'm considering doing it this year, if there isn't a decent alternative.

I have seen the Menards skeletons in person, but only many years ago. I wonder if they've changed over the years? I didn't get to go see one in person last year, and they're not on the site yet. I HOPE that they still sell them this year.

Were the Target skeletons good? I also saw those years ago, but not recently.

Anyone have a Shopko skeleton? They seemed like the older Target skeletons to me (the ones that I have seen), and not really worth $50 when Costco's are Pose N Stay, and I don't think that Shopko's were last year.

What are your thoughts on the Big Lots Glow in the Dark skeleton? Part of me likes them because they look like more realistic versions of the flat jointed skeletons that I love...but part of me says it's not realistic enough. I wonder if the glow will be too thick in places, and not make the facial features discernible. Maybe if I bought one, I could paint some black shading in the skull to make the features more noticeable.

Or, maybe someone has one and could tell me if it's not necessary, or show us a picture of the glow.

Are there other skeletons that I'm missing, to compare? (skipping Blucky types entirely, since they're not realistic)

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
I don't have any of the Bucky's but I do have numerous of all of the cheaper ones, except Blucky's because I didn't care for their goofy skull. I have numerous of the original "Wally's" and I honestly prefer these. Last year Walgreen's went to the pose and stays which is the same one you see at Kmart, Target, Costco and Grandin Road etc.. I know this was discussed in another post in the past. The pose and stay's joints are a little more durable but they are very limited to what positions you can pose them and have the smaller smiling head. Last year I found a couple of the original "Wally" type at Rite Aid on sale so I picked them up as they are getting harder to find since everyone seems to now sell the pose and stays. I also have a few of the glow in the dark pose and stays that Grandin Road clearanced out for $19.00 a few years ago. These are Ok but they are the translucent green, they really don't glow much and are obviously not realistic as they are that glow in the dark greenish. I notice this year they seem to be selling a pose and hold that looks to have the Wally type skull. I haven't seen them but I'm thinking they have the stiffer joints like the PNS. Obviously it's all a personal choice between the 3 types but I've bought the pose and stays at numerous places and they are all the exact same thing. I'd just shop around for the sales and best price.

·
Registered
13,769 Posts
LairMistress if you bought a "wally" last year, I'm pretty sure Walgreens was only selling the Pose-N-Stays that Costco has been selling--and is selling again this year. So you would be getting the same Skeleton if you are able to order from Costco online. The original "Wallies" were a thin, bone-colored plastic, seamed prop with visible screws and such and was not poseable on its own (unless you wired it up yourself). Just want you to be clear on which one you bought last year from Walgreens before ordering something you may not want to pick up again.

As Cloe said the RiteAid skeleton was the closest to the Wallies I've seen out there, although their metal connective materials was still different at the joints I believe. But it was the same type of bone-colored, seamed thin plastic.

I have a few of the Original Wallies and one of mine just popped out a leg at the ball joint in the hip unexpectedly first year I had it and hadn't even used that year for Halloween. The seams aren't long lasting. I think if you have plans to corpse them, and if you don't care if they loose limbs, and if you are going to wire them anyway, then that type of skeleton is a good deal if you can find them.

Someone last year did a dry brush shading on a GrandinRoad Pose-N-Stay GID skeleton. Can't recall who and don't remember what thread it was posted in. I too don't really care for the overall same look of the GID skeletons but her shading made all the difference. Maybe someone can provide a link to her work. Maybe there's a separate thread for it under the Tutorials? Anyway any "Pose-N-Stay" brand GID whether from Target, Big Lots, GR would be the same skeleton.

·
Insert Witty Comment Here
4,484 Posts
they're all good and cna all have a purpose. I replace all the blucky skulls with light up pumpkins. I picked up my first pose-n-stay from Costco a week ago, but have yet to take it out of the box. I want to try the Big Lots GID under black light to see if its worth getting a couple o fthem.

·
Wisp in the Mist
1,953 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's interesting. I thought that my Wally looked different from the Costco skeleton. I thought that mine had some aging coloration to it, but it's packed away in the garage (which isn't attached to the house...it's at the end of the property). I will have to get him out and inspect him again. He has a broken spine at the moment! He also came in an open-top pack, not a box like the Costcos, but I suppose they don't have to come in the same packaging, to be the same skeleton.

I don't think that the GITD Big Lots skeletons are poseable, but I haven't seen one in person yet. Hopefully I will get to see one on Friday, although I doubt I'll buy one right away. I always talk myself out of skeletons "because I have one already"...and now I have two. Do I need three? Silly question, right?

·
Wisp in the Mist
1,953 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks, GoS! I don't know how I missed that photo on the thread! I guess I haven't been around every day, like I was for a bit there.

I thought that I was caught up.

So now I wonder how well they glow, and how long. :D

We don't have Costco here, although I could get one of their non GITD's backordered online pretty cheap if I act fast.

Our other stores have realistic skeletons for prices similar to this GITD BL one, so the price isn't much of a deterrent. I won't be buying any other big tag items (although BL's $50 witch is also tempting!). I'm a little afraid that they won't have them next year, so over the course of the last 24 hours, I am slowly talking myself into buying one.

·
Registered
13,769 Posts
I think it's impossible to stay caught up especially as halloween is being stocked! I try too but forget where I left off reading. And never get to some threads until after halloween.

After seing so many stores stocking the PNSs last year from Costco to Walgreens and CVS and halloween stores, I think they have become the de facto skeleton for stores to carry. 'Course the price varies. Good luck whatever you decide. It's getting harder to decide where to spend the balance of my halloween money. I haven't totalled what I'd still like but am sure I'd end up short.

·
Registered
13,769 Posts

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Thanks, GoS! I don't know how I missed that photo on the thread! I guess I haven't been around every day, like I was for a bit there.

I thought that I was caught up.

So now I wonder how well they glow, and how long. :D

We don't have Costco here, although I could get one of their non GITD's backordered online pretty cheap if I act fast.

Our other stores have realistic skeletons for prices similar to this GITD BL one, so the price isn't much of a deterrent. I won't be buying any other big tag items (although BL's $50 witch is also tempting!). I'm a little afraid that they won't have them next year, so over the course of the last 24 hours, I am slowly talking myself into buying one.
My sentiments exactly. I have quite a few skeletons because I do numerous scenes down a walkway the length of my back yard. I normally never pass up a good deal but things are kind of tight this year so I'm reluctant to make any "big" priced purchases right now. When I saw the BL's witch I am really tempted. I keep telling myself I don't need that but I keep looking at her and thinking but I want that and she's not badly priced. I'm trying to control my impulse.

·
Wisp in the Mist
1,953 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks again, GoS! I went looking for my own photos from last year, but I didn't get a good shot of Wally's face. He looks very similar to Costco, but I thought that theirs were white, where Wally is kind of an aged color. Slightly. I saw Hilda's photo on the thread that you linked to, too. The more that I think about it, they must have been poseable, because I set Wally out with "Becky" (since Bucky's are actually female, I call her Becky). I was wishing that Becky was poseable, like Wally is.

I still haven't made it out to the garage yet. Mostly because if I do, then I have to let both the dog and the three year old out...and only the dog will want to go back in. I made the mistake of leaving the dog in the house once, and the three year old went back in and let her out. She runs a lot faster than I do, and "Come back!" isn't in her vocabulary. So if I'm out for any amount of time, she has to be tied out too. ;)

We do have to go somewhere later, so I'll try to dig Wally out and snap a close up of him...or bring him inside. :D I need to figure out how to fix his spine, anyway.

Back to wanting the GITD skeleton...

Every year, I talk myself out of something that doesn't look very realistic, and then later, I wished I'd bought it.

The talking urn that Kmart had cheaper than any other store; the bubble fogger that can't be found for under $70 but was once $40; and I passed up Menards and Target skeletons for years, but finally gave in and got Wally, because the prices just keep going up.

I really think I need Mr. Glow Bones, or whatever we plan on calling him. ;)

·
Soccer and Lacrosse Dad
1,767 Posts
It still drives me mad that the tibia and fibula are backwards on the PoseNStays.....every good haunter knows tibias are medial and fibulas lateral.....how did they make such a huge mistake??? and why have they not corrected it???

·
Registered
13,769 Posts
It still drives me mad that the tibia and fibula are backwards on the PoseNStays.....every good haunter knows tibias are medial and fibulas lateral.....how did they make such a huge mistake??? and why have they not corrected it???

Now it may be that the manufacturer is totally clueless anatomically about the legs...or I think it's possible that either they assembled the legs wrong, ie left calf should be right etc., or they intentionally placed them that way to make the legs of the skeleton stronger should someone bump it from the side. A thinner outer bone would stand more of a chance of getting hit and then breaking IMO. Or suppose a design on the drawing board could have ended up flipped during manufacturing when the molds were made. Does make you curious which one or none of the above it is.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts