Halloween Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
Does anyone know where I can buy a realistic looking knife I don't want to use a real one and dull the sharp edges someone will probably still get hurt someway.. Thinking of something made of hard foam, or something more realistic.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Another thought... Adam Savage (of Mythbusters) used metallic foil tape (used on ducting) over a wooden sword to make it look like shiny steel.

You could find a cheap plastic or rubber job with the right shape, and make the blade look dangerous.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Another thought... Adam Savage (of Mythbusters) used metallic foil tape (used on ducting) over a wooden sword to make it look like shiny steel.

You could find a cheap plastic or rubber job with the right shape, and make the blade look dangerous.
Yeah, I saw the same video. I was in a hurry to make some fake needles this last season and didn't have time to spray paint them silver, so I went the suggested metallic tape route. I don't think you could have noticed the difference unless you're looking at them pretty closely and in good lighting (neither of which is the case in a haunt.) I'd definitely suggest this route for the knife.

This is the video, BTW:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O1--0DLJv-8
The tape part starts pretty late in the video.

·
Typical Ghoul Next Door
7,719 Posts
I haven't watched the videos/tutorials posted, but I just bought a plastic knife, used spray mount (can get at craft stores, or use rubber cement - but let it dry a little bit so it is more tacky than wet) on aluminum foil and very carefully smoothed it over the knife's blade area, then trimmed up the foil so it looked more realistic. You have to be VERY careful with the foil since creasing it messes up the effect.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts