Halloween Forum banner

21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Heck, I would think we wouldn't need a Chaos engine (whatever the heck that is), just the wind currents in a room should keep it moving.
Or maybe even a small computer fan? Sort of take the "fake fire" technique of silver fabric with orange lighting to give the fire effect, but on a much smaller scale.

I think I'm going to try mould making this weekend (both taper and pillar candles) and maybe together we can come up with something!

·
Hauntless
8,332 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
THe light is actually UV light! Here is the Disney patent :
Patent US7261455

That was fascinating to read (albeit, a difficult read - head hurts now).

So, that blue reflection could be from a UV LED. That blue does have a UV color to it. Also, they have the option of just letting outside air currents move that paper flame around or they could control the movement using magnets that grab and release the gimbaled light element. That is a cool approach!

I also read that they use a dichroic lens to change the color of the LED. That could be how they got rid of the fake yellow LED color. They probably used a white LED and had it go through a colored lens.

Overall, this looks like a very complicated but brilliant design. When they come out with one, I will certainly get one and make a video of it's guts!

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Yeah Terra, I can't wait to see the internals. I noticed in the video the guy avoided the question of "how much would it cost?". I'm sure it's going to be pretty expensive.

Here's the international patent:
Patent WO/2006/020839

I read in the patent that the flame portion includes a ultraviolet material. In this video, it really looks like purple(uv) rather than blue:

·
Registered
78 Posts
Terra, thank you for the indepth look. I didn't know anyone was as obsessed with fake candles as I am! I have a new quest for you, to find the most realistic cheap, LED votive candle. I like to take them apart and redo them, but I still need the flicker chip. But it's impossible online to know which ones are going to look realistic. Have you done any experimenting with the smaller cheap votives?

·
Hauntless
8,332 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Hey, thanks so much :D Yeah, I got carried away but I was really irritated with all the 'fakey' looking candles out there. heh.

As far as votive candles go, the lanterns that I hacked have a very realistic votive inside the lantern (but not LED). You could just do away with the lantern part. Here's a picture of it but be aware the glass cover had been replaced with a plastic one. I would think you could just buy similiar sized glass covers.

Anybody else come accross realistic votive/tea lights?

While I'm here, I'll update the thread a bit. I had loads of leftover candles from testing so I though I'd put them all over the house - all year. I hacked in wiring so I can run them off of electricity and they are all plugged into wall timers. Now I have a bit of the Haunted Mansion all over and I LOVE IT!

This is the City Theatrical circuit and becuase the light itself is so real-looking I have the pillar candle on a lower shelf in the office so you can see the 'flame' peeking out.

More shots of the candles in the house. These were the cheap Hobby Lobby ones.

Here's some of the Enjoy Lighting LED candles.

Another set of the realistic pillar candles I made.

·
Registered
1 Posts
7:45 Lantern Candle

Hi Terra
On your video, at 7:45, you said this candle is from the lantern... Can you tell me what is the lantern name and where I can get it from, just any info you have on that particular piece...
Thank you
Tarik

·
Hauntless
8,332 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Hi Terra
On your video, at 7:45, you said this candle is from the lantern... Can you tell me what is the lantern name and where I can get it from, just any info you have on that particular piece...
Thank you
Tarik
So sorry I didn't see your question earlier. This is where I got it: http://www.lamplust.com/plugin-weather-resistant-string-lantern-p-88.html?cPath=3_42&osCsid=db5fe84e94f66238bbede290

It was made by Enjoy Lighting but it seems they no longer make it. The link above still must have some left.

Update: I've been running these candles in my house on a timer. So, every evening they come on at about 5pm and stay on until 11pm (total of 8 candles). So far, only two of the candles have burnt out bulbs (three in each candle) in them and I've left them. They add to the randomness of the flickering. I'll replace the bulb unit after all three bulbs go out. So, that tells me that they will last a long time.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Rosco (LED?): $40 This befuddles me. They say it is LED but I swear it uses incandescent grain bulbs. Also, there are two bulbs and one exposed wire. I think a third bulb was forgotten during manufacturing. At least, I hope so. The rapid flickering between the two bulbs was too fast. It looked like a strobe light.

City Theatrical - incandescent: $40. This is one impressive circuit! It uses three incandescent grain bulbs that is encased in silicone and clear beads. The flickering is great but it's too fast. Not as fast as the Rosco but it didn't look right inside a pillar candle where you wouldn't expect as much flickering. This is more like it would be in the wind or an exposed taper candle. This light would be outstanding in those types of candles (tapered) but not in a pillar.
That Rosco befu....something else me. I bought the Rosco flicker tip because I swore is was what they used on the haunted mansion holiday overlay (the exterior candles on the railing). I bought it and when I jumped in the car immediately tested it out with a 9v battery. Talk about getting screwed. The LEDs had a spinning motion and intermittently it would constantly blink until I twisted the tip.

The circuit I'm trying to build is the CT one and yes it looks awesome if the tip is exposed to plain sight. The upwards, drafty flicker animation is cool and I want to use 1 tip on each of the candles in my photo album. It wasn't designed to hide. :)

·
Hauntless
8,332 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
That Rosco befu....something else me. I bought the Rosco flicker tip because I swore is was what they used on the haunted mansion holiday overlay (the exterior candles on the railing). I bought it and when I jumped in the car immediately tested it out with a 9v battery. Talk about getting screwed. The LEDs had a spinning motion and intermittently it would constantly blink until I twisted the tip.

The circuit I'm trying to build is the CT one and yes it looks awesome if the tip is exposed to plain sight. The upwards, drafty flicker animation is cool and I want to use 1 tip on each of the candles in my photo album. It wasn't designed to hide. :)

Sounds fascinating. Please post pictures of it when you are done. Would love to see it. By the way my CT candle is still on the timer and still going strong :)

·
Registered
180 Posts
great job terra once again you rais the bar for all of us to follow you but at least you show us the way to go with these great tutorials nice decor in your house as well

·
Registered
180 Posts
Raise the bar? That's an understatement in my book :). Terra's work is unreal to me. I might be a simpleton but I doubt it
i think terras work is amazing to raising the bar means i is hard to compete with her stuff cause she is the queen of foam an now it looks like candels also great work terra an keep the tuts coming so we can copy all your great stuff lol

·
Hauntless
8,332 Posts
Discussion Starter #40 (Edited)
Thanks all - you are so sweet :) :) :)

Terra, how do you transform these battery operated candles into plug-in candles?
Could you explain your process please?
thanks!
Generally you figure out what voltage and current (amps) the batteries were supplying to the device and then wire up a AC wall wart to match it. I have boxes of saved wall warts and it's not a big deal. But, if you don't - a trip to Radio Shack will supply you with one but be warned - they aren't the cheapest things. Once you have the right wall wart then you solder the wires up to the terminals (positive and negative) that are in the battery pack.

Gotchas:

If there are several batteries in the device you have to figure out if they are wired up in parallel or in series. That will determine what voltage and current you need. Look at this article to help explain that: http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/serial_and_parallel_battery_configurations

If you are stringing together three candles (as I did) you have to now triple the amount of current needed. Voltage stays the same.

Remember - you always have to match the voltage needed. If you go under the required amount the unit may work weirdly or not at all. If you go too high - you could burn the unit out. Now with current - it AT LEAST has to match what is required. But you can go over that amount. The device will only take up as much of the current it needs. It will leave the rest.... Think of it as it only drinks as much water as it needs. The rest stays in the pitcher.

Hope that helps.

21 - 40 of 41 Posts