Halloween Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a few pieces of wrought iron fence 5ft x 8ft (see photo). I was thinking about cutting these in half so they are about 3 feet tall and use as a graveyard prop next year. Has anyone ever done this for a graveyard prop? Any ideas for this?

Thanks in advance for your feedback.

·
Registered
880 Posts
Looking at them they'd make good cell bars for a caged monster or a prisoner. If you're thinking fence my opinion is 3 feet is a bit short. If it was me I'd add faux bar extensions to the top and add finials, maybe some vines and you have a creepy fence. What ever you decide post pics :)

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
Nothing beats Real Steel bars! You could cut them in half, then add extensions to the bottom pieces,and of course you should run a piece of steel across the edges where you cut it to finish it off .
If you ever make a gate for your fence and the gate is being used as a gate by the public, I would recommend making the gate from either PVC or thin 1/2" steel electrical conduit so it will be light so as to inflict much less harm if someone swings it hard into someone else, or if a foot got caught under it against the ground.
I made "Points" for each one of my uprights (made from steel conduit) those points were made from carpet padding , rolled and taped then painted so as to not create a hazard .
I assembled the conduit using long threaded rods (1/4") with numerous nuts and washers, cutting and shaping small pieces of the conduit to go between the bars, tapered to fit,with sort of a "V" shape where it goes against the longer uprights.

Reactions: RadCbad

·
Registered
703 Posts
If it is a real wrought Iron I would not do anything with it except sell it. Wrought iron is expensive stuff. It may even fund your whole Halloween budget for next year. Cutting, painting or even just cleaning it can bring down the price on the open market. I would do some research 1st. before doing anything with it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts