Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With all of the props I plan on placing in our yard this year, I really want to install a "spooky" fence to keep kids out and provide limited protection against theft. I have seen several build pages to make your own fence out of wood and PVC. Some of them look really nice but honestly it looks like more work than I really want to commit to.
What are your thoughts on using a real iron fence? I found a modular design on American Fence that I like. Obviously the main disadvantage is cost (~$2200 vs ~$300) and weight (installing and storage) but can you think of any other reason not to proceed with this option?

Attachments

·
Registered
764 Posts
Thats nice fence. I went the super cheap way with wood from pallets and had a blast building them.
They are 8 foot sections. Being wood you can find wood for free everywheres also.

IMG_0964.jpg

IMG_0965.jpg

IMG_0971.jpg

·
Registered
358 Posts
I put a similar type of fence up around some flower beds. In thinking about the fence I see a couple of other issues in using it for Halloween. The fencing is not as forgiving as the fake wrought iron since you really need to place the stakes accurately to get the fence to fit together. Also the stakes are designed for a fairly solid fence. The problem is that once you get them into the ground they are difficult to remove and leave a good sized hole. My feeling is that with all the issues and the price unless you are planning to leave the fence up year round you would be better off building one.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Safety is the main concern - you don't want it to fall and squash anybody. It looks heavy.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Two years ago we purchased some iron fence panels from Menards to put around our graveyard. We actually only use at the front of the street and use a homemade around the backside. Actually the iron one is easier to install and store if only I had bought more. The stakes that go into the ground are easier and is what connects the 2 sections together. I actually purchased them when they had the rebate for them so each panel only cost $4-$5 after the rebate. Watch for their sales and you might be able to pick them up fairly cheap.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the advice cemerli, I have the same concerns as the ones you pointed out. I am still debating which route to take.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Not really, because I put them up all crooked and wonky. Some of them are falling down. And they're all covered with cobwebs and Spanish moss. The effect is old looking delaptated cemetery fencing.

·
Oak Lane Cemetery
2,019 Posts
The amount of work that goes into pvc fence panels is deceptive if you plan it out a little. Mark the lengths of your pickets on a workbench and make a simple guide from a couple of nails to secure them for cutting. A squeeze type cutter makes quick clean cuts. Keep one drilled 8ft crossbar set aside and use it as a guide to drill the rest. Use a finished panel as a template to line up the crossbars for all the rest by standing it up behind the one you are working on. Lots of ways to set up a sort of production line and crank them out. Use plastic electrical conduit instead of PVC, it's cheaper. Buy your crossbars in 8ft lengths to avoid any cutting (just lay the two for each section on top of each other to ensure they are the same length.) When I made my fence it took a couple of hours to make the first section. After that I had all my templates set, my drilling guide made, and my finials pre-assembled and it took less than 30 minutes (minus paint) to make each section.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
When we own a house again I am going to replace my PVC/wood fence with a metal permanent one. If you can afford it I think you should totally do it.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks guys. I am going to make a single 8ft section and see how it goes and looks and then make my decision.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I started building a 8ft section of fence today. In the process I realized that it will require me to drill over 756 holes to complete the entire 127ft fun. Man that is a lot of drilling!!

·
Registered
473 Posts
If you live by a Metal Supermarket you might look into a metal fence build. The price of metal there is significantly less than what you see at hardware stores. Sounds scary but tacking a fence together with a cheap Harbor Freight Mig Welder isn't that hard. I would have a metal fence if my city's front yard fence restrictions weren't so crazy. I am not a welder (I do own a good Mig welder) but to try my hand at it I built this gate (to the wife's displeasure).
http://www.snydercentral.com/PT/gate/gate.html
https://www.metalsupermarkets.com/

·
Registered
473 Posts
I've started taking over the neighbor's yards and have a storage issue so the chain "fence" is working for me. Easy to put up, take down, and store. For the most part visitors respect it as if it were barb wire keeping the guests and props safe. Several years ago a neighbor was anoyed by the traffic and hired an off duty policeman for the "night of". $200 for the night. I save my pocket change and have him back every year. He parks several doors down in a marked police car with the flashing lights on, hands out candy, and interacts with the visitors. This has completed elimated the trouble makers (I do miss the late night drunks - they were fun to watch). For early set up as a theft deterent I set up a survielance camera connected to a monitor (old spare TV) outside. The thought being theives will be discouraged when seeing themselves being recorded. This is a deterent only. One year I watched some teenagers steal a prop. They were having so much fun I just let them get away with it. One of my favorite videos I call "Halloween 911 - Scare in Progress". Off duty policeman called his buddies to come see: http://www.snydercentral.com/halloween/H2015/2015_911.mp4

1 - 20 of 43 Posts