1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, My local auction house has put this in the next sale:

HUMAN BONES. Pine box of human bones

original.jpg

So, my question is simple, knowing they are real human bones, would you buy them, or does it creep you out a little too much?

Estimate: 30 GBP - 50 GBP +23% commision

·
Registered
32 Posts
Creepy! Reminds me of the Pirates of the Caribbean ride at Disneyland. Walt supposedly used real bones from the UCLA science department.

I would probably pass because with my luck, I'd end up in some murder investigation. ��

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
I don't find it creepy, but I do find it very fascinating! If I had the space to properly display something like this, and the money I wpuld definitely go for it! A gem!

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
No, I wouldn't, but that's not really my thing anyway, so it's an easy decision. If I did like to collect things like that, I would probably only purchase an item like human bones if I knew they had some kind of provenance that I agreed with. Like, if a medical school was selling them maybe, or if I knew someone had donated their body to science.

I don't think it stems from superstition as much as for me, it's out of respect - I don't plan to be buried, but if I did, I wouldn't like someone one day selling my bones because years ago some grave robber dug me up or something. I guess people are dead & therefore don't care :eek:, but I still care that it used to be a person who maybe wouldn't want to sit on my shelf to be ogled at.

Eh, we're all different. I can understand that people have a fascination or interest in bones, either scientifically, spiritually, or otherwise, but for me, an easy answer of "No, not interested".

·
Registered
2,789 Posts
That's an interesting question!
For me, Halloween is about fantasy and creativity. I'm not in the least creeped out by real human bones, but I would prefer realistic fakes. The real thing is still-- dark, I guess, and so loses a bit of the fun element imo. I realize my take isn't entirely consistent, but I like the concept of it all being illusion. I'd also rather have a realistic-looking thing in a lab jar than have an actual dead animal in a jar. I've had plenty of Zoology and anatomy classes that used dead animals (and some with human or human parts. I'm not squeamish. But that's scientific, rather than fantasy.
Now I just discussed it with DD, and she asked me what about my (real) cow bones. She had me there. I like my cow bones...I know they were the result of natural causes death--- so maybe it is the thought of not knowing the provenance after all. Back to it just being a level of dark that's more than I want.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I would definitely buy them for the right price. I have a collection of skulls and bones and I one day want to own a genuine human skull. Currently the only human bone in my collection is a vertebrae.

It's not for everyone but I enjoy osteology and bones are great for drawing exercises. And of course, they always work well with my Halloween decor. :)

And side note... all of my bones were of ethically obtained . Most from a zoologist, finding bones while hiking, or medical schools. Like others I'm not big on not knowing the history.. especially when it comes to human bones.

·
The Cackling Cauldron
1,302 Posts
That's an interesting question!
For me, Halloween is about fantasy and creativity. I'm not in the least creeped out by real human bones, but I would prefer realistic fakes. The real thing is still-- dark, I guess, and so loses a bit of the fun element imo. I realize my take isn't entirely consistent, but I like the concept of it all being illusion. I'd also rather have a realistic-looking thing in a lab jar than have an actual dead animal in a jar. I've had plenty of Zoology and anatomy classes that used dead animals (and some with human or human parts. I'm not squeamish. But that's scientific, rather than fantasy.
Now I just discussed it with DD, and she asked me what about my (real) cow bones. She had me there. I like my cow bones...I know they were the result of natural causes death--- so maybe it is the thought of not knowing the provenance after all. Back to it just being a level of dark that's more than I want.
I would agree with ooojen on this. I like the fantasy and illusion of realistic looking imaginary. More than the uncomfortable dark feeling of real bones.

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
Your state law might say "No" to your ownership of human bones.
A few years ago the City got a load of fill dirt from a local farm. It was full of cow and maybe horse bones from many years ago. I had a place for them, but then they seemed to vanish.. gradually?
Coyotes?
I met a man at an auction. He told me how he had gotten the "bid" that got him everything in the second floor of a building in a tiny town somewhere in Iowa, but he was supposed to clean out everything.
What he wanted were the fancy old chairs that had belonged to the Lodge, he didn't want the 50-some coffins with glass windows so the former men's club members could take a look at the modern world someday!
He grabbed the chairs and drove away.
Yes, the skeletons of the lodge members went with their coffins, but not that afternoon!

·
Registered
209 Posts
No, I wouldn't, but that's not really my thing anyway, so it's an easy decision. If I did like to collect things like that, I would probably only purchase an item like human bones if I knew they had some kind of provenance that I agreed with. Like, if a medical school was selling them maybe, or if I knew someone had donated their body to science.

I don't think it stems from superstition as much as for me, it's out of respect - I don't plan to be buried, but if I did, I wouldn't like someone one day selling my bones because years ago some grave robber dug me up or something. I guess people are dead & therefore don't care :eek:, but I still care that it used to be a person who maybe wouldn't want to sit on my shelf to be ogled at.

Eh, we're all different. I can understand that people have a fascination or interest in bones, either scientifically, spiritually, or otherwise, but for me, an easy answer of "No, not interested".
This is how i feel as well.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
I used to work in a teaching hospital in X-ray so we had what most would consider a lot of human bones. One of our doctors would do the ordering for campus wide need. She told me 99% of the skeletons come from India. She said the country is so poor that the families are willing to sell their family members in order to have money for the rest of the family to live on. We used to have a skeleton from a baby in the library. I used to look at it and wonder about the family of this child. In one way I didn't like that circumstances that put these skeletons in our school. But I'm sure the family really needed the money and it probably brought food to them. I've read some have to sell their children into servitude for as little as $20. So selling a skeleton would be better.

So would I take human bones. I know I would sit and stare at them wondering their life story, so no. Do I think others should? It's their choice, that is if it's legal in their state. I know they can't be sold on e-bay.

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
OK. How many wouldn't buy a human skeleton, but would buy a nice warm pile of intestines?
Just asking?
You know, just for your sling-shot. Like in the cartoons. Be the first on your block to .....

1 - 20 of 31 Posts