Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys! I had tiki torches in my display a few years back but they were off to the side yard where no one would be walking near them. I thought about putting them in my graveyard or near the front so they will catch peoples eye and come down our street. My house is a little hidden by a wooded lot on the corner. I love the ambiance of the fire and they really set a creepy tone but didnt know if this is something that was a no no in yard haunts. Anyone else use live fire?

·
Registered
89 Posts
I use it every year. I have mulitible pumpkin stacks with fire in the top pumpkin. I always have a firepit going. i am even thinking about adding some flame projectors. just be very aware of where you are using it and how close it is to the house and the trees.

·
Registered
13,895 Posts
Living in an area with more than a few wildfires and seeing how even small fires can get out of hand and spread with wind, I only plan to use faux torches for my haunt. I love live fire tiki torches but unless you are going to be nearby and watching them all the time, I just don't see it being a smart thing.

If you are looking for another option I use these torches from Oriental Trading and insert them in bamboo torches (minus the metal fuel can) from Dollar Tree. At night they look pretty good and they still set an ambiance for the kids. For me a fire accident with a lot of kids around (and you said you live by a woods) just isn't worth chancing it. Sure parents will appreciate the lack of real fire as well.

http://www.orientaltrading.com/flaming-torch-light-a2-16_552.fltr?keyword=torch

and here's the torch used with the bamboo pole: http://www.halloweenforum.com/tutorials-and-step-by-step/126322-flaming-tiki-torch-under-6-a.html

Here's a very brief video I posted using this torch inside a prop head for a fire-eater carnival prop.

·
Seer of All
2,940 Posts
I've used flaming tiki torches for the last couple of years near the area we have our chairs set up, partially for the look and partially because we still have mosquitoes the size of fighter jets in October. I don't see a problem as long as they are not near anything that would catch fire easily, like hanging creepy cloth, corn stalks, dead branches, etc. Just use common sense and you'll be fine.

·
Registered
865 Posts
I tried a tiki torch one year but it made me so nervous, I put it out.

Now I use my fire pit. Tons of atmosphere, available for warm ups and marshmallow toasting and SAFE!

·
Registered
197 Posts
We have tiki torches with skulls, homemade, but we keep them behind the iron fence, by the garden hose sprayer. I'm wondering if this might get us in trouble this year, due to the wildfires we've had in California.

·
Soccer and Lacrosse Dad
1,773 Posts
There are lots of fake fire alternatives out there if you'd rather play it safe. This is purchased 4.5 foot flame. It's made from a series of fans, orange, lights, white lights a blue light and a silk fabric.

·
Caretaker of Eerie Manor
6,558 Posts
We've used tiki torches before with no problems. Make sure they're out of reach of guests and anything that could potentially ignite. If it's real windy, I'd scrap it personally. We plan to use the torch canisters this year. mount them on small wooden bases and pile small rocks around them to look like the flame is coiming out of the rocks. They should look cool in our witch forest scene. It will be fenced off so no worries about danger to the kids

·
The Big Kahuna of Fright
4,329 Posts
Living in Samoa, tiki torch s were expected. And not just on Halloween. We're in Canada now, and still use the tiki's. This year we're adding full flaming Jack O 'Lanterns plus Pyrex bowls containing boric acid and methyl hydrate to produce an apple green flame. Our 'hood would NEVER allow an open fire, but you do the best you can with what you have...

·
Registered
170 Posts
I use tiki torches, fake flames with light and blowing silk and a flame canon that appears to be a tiki torch unril I lett it puff or roar. 10' flame jet. Also known as a poofer. You can feel the hear from 40 feet away ;)

There are also these fog machines that shoot a vertical jet with red lights under it to look like a poofer, but no fire. Might get those next year ;)

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
85 Posts
I used tiki torches one year, but I stopped after I realized they tended to wash out the lighting I spent hours getting just right.

·
Registered
706 Posts
We have a pair of torches we used to use, not tiki ones but similar idea. Too big of a pain to be worrying about, even when behind a fence away from visitors, but they also put out too much light for my preference.

Only fire we have now is a pumpkin torch, kerosene-soaked-toilet paper inside a large pumpkin. This is set up, again, behind the fence where it is visible but inaccessible. It's also directly in the line of sight for the candy manager on the porch, so someone is always in sight of the thing. It also burns out several times during the night, so that's an added time to check in and make sure it's doing okay.

Those are the keys, I think: low to the ground, stable, relatively sheltered, never out of sight, inaccessible to anyone but you, and constantly attended.

Also: fire extinguisher.

Also also: be aware of your weather pattern. If dry, no go.

In general, I think there's a reason why fake-fire props are such a popular build. For most folks, it isn't worth it. When in doubt...

·
Registered
714 Posts
Tiki torches shouldnt be an issue just keep them away from where any little kids can come near them. Our neighbors
use this fire thing which blast big gust of fire and it is dangerous. Even my son last year who is 19 years old said you
can feel his fire across the street, not a good idea.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Tiki torches shouldnt be an issue just keep them away from where any little kids can come near them. Our neighbors
use this fire thing which blast big gust of fire and it is dangerous. Even my son last year who is 19 years old said you
can feel his fire across the street, not a good idea.
I have the same thing, it is called "poofer" or "flame cannon". Those of us who use flame effects take extra safety precautions. The pressure of the gas (regular bbq propane) is regulated to just 30-40 lbs of pressure. Lots of safety valves and away from anything flammable. I also don't dial it up to a 20' jet or a nuclear fireball. But when the vapor ignites, it give off a lot of infrared light and you can feel the heat. It goes straight up in little balls or puffs or i can make it puff longer than 1/3 of a second for a tall flame effect, like a jet engine with the afterburner. People who ride in baloons have them right over their heads. Mine is 7 feet tall and away from things. It does fascinate people. I saw them on the roofs of buildings at Hallowwen Horror Nights in Orlando and had to build one

·
Super Moderator
5,738 Posts
Torches have provided my primary light source for years. I am always out with them, however.

I used tiki torches one year, but I stopped after I realized they tended to wash out the lighting I spent hours getting just right.
The trick is in placement of the torches. A torch can throw light a long way, you have to let shadows happen.

That's not to say it's been free of trouble. I will make one caution: DO NOT USE THE TORCHES WITH THE PLASTIC BOTTLES.

Cap got hot enough to melt the bottle, spill oil, and burn the torch down. What remains of the cap and bottle.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I have the same thing, it is called "poofer" or "flame cannon". Those of us who use flame effects take extra safety precautions. The pressure of the gas (regular bbq propane) is regulated to just 30-40 lbs of pressure. Lots of safety valves and away from anything flammable. I also don't dial it up to a 20' jet or a nuclear fireball. But when the vapor ignites, it give off a lot of infrared light and you can feel the heat. It goes straight up in little balls or puffs or i can make it puff longer than 1/3 of a second for a tall flame effect, like a jet engine with the afterburner. People who ride in baloons have them right over their heads. Mine is 7 feet tall and away from things. It does fascinate people. I saw them on the roofs of buildings at Hallowwen Horror Nights in Orlando and had to build one

oh do we need to talk. this sounds right up my alley. Pictures would be great . I have an idea for a large monument that spits fire.

·
Registered
530 Posts
We use tiki torches in the front yard (and backyard on party nights), mainly for the anti-mosquito properties of the citronella oil. We haven't had any issues with them, which is good, b/c we keep the doors open on the house and they work well keeping the bugs away.

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
UnOrthodox I love those pictures up there! I have tiki lamps but have never used them. I am a big fan of the affect with real fire but just am afraid cause to many parts of our haunt are unattended and that was way to much to worry about. Even when you are right there things can happen, I have all real candles placed all over my spell & potion table and that's where I stand to take the family pictures. I always tell the kids to be careful cause of all the candles. One year a little guy walked around the table and went to grab something, I told his Dad, it's ok I'll get it back to where it goes>>>he said no I can get it...I said WAIT!! and that is when he knocked over 2 big candles onto the tablecloth full of all kinds of stuff. It could have been bad! So even in small cases things can happen that you don't suspect.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts