Halloween Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased a real casket from Craigslist (a steal at $250) and want to integrate it into my lawn display.

IMG_2879.jpg

IMG_2880.jpg

It's made of metal, but I'm concerned it might rust if it is exposed to the Iowa elements all fall. I could put it up on sawhorses or a PVC frame and put a tarp over it at night, I suppose. I wonder if the interior will get wet if it rains (even if closed)? Seems a shame to only bring it out for one night.

Anyone use a real casket in their display? Pictures or suggestions?

·
Typing Away
3,463 Posts
When I know it is going to rain I cover my casket with a tarp and I made a stand for it out of PVC other than that it is out all month long.
It is NOT water tight with the cover close and lot of time the filling is wood shavings so if it get wet it will stay wet for some time and you do not want mold growing inside of it. My casket is over 25 years old and it shows.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
Theoretically, the casket is supposed to be sealed by a rubber gasket when closed (we can’t have those pesky bodily fluids leaking out, right?). I had mine out for several nights last year, but was worried about theft and vandalism, so closed and locked it at night. (We also chained it to the bumper of the truck, but that’s another story!)

I have a foam filled latex corpse that I put in there along with some led strip lights. Or I just put my GID Bucky in there with some black lights. Either one looks amazing and the TOTers LOVE it!

55B19486-06F1-4BA8-BBC1-2AE6C61B5273.jpeg

4882803F-46AD-4588-8EBE-F04ABAAE6C3F.jpeg

Saki Girl, I love, love, love your serving table!! Hubby made me a toe pincher that we had a glass top made for. We called it our “coffin coffee table!” :D

·
redrum
949 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
These are great ideas! I love the look of the lighted interior in all of them, and the glass top is great.

I'm leaning toward leaving it out all month. It will definitely rust - there's a little bit on the interior already - but that will give it character. It's not watertight, but the lining seems cheap enough that it will dry fairly quickly. It's hard to imagine someone running off with it (it's heavy!) but I will probably chain it to the porch.

Thinking of integrating it into some sort of skeleton wedding scene... Maybe the officiant sitting up in the casket?

I also have a wooden coffin we built a few years ago:

IMG_1803.jpg

IMG_0884.jpg

IMG_2640.jpg

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
IMG_3775sm.jpg

I got my casket at an auction a few years ago. It was in a little rough shape - perfect for my haunt. I only use it inside the garage. The first year I had a sit-up corpse but it didn't have enough of a scare value, so the next year I leaned it against the wall, put the figure in it with a blue strobe, and had the lid leaning up on it. More effective - people would be attracted to the strobe, kind of look around the lid, see the corpse bride and react.

Attachments

1 - 12 of 12 Posts