Halloween Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
We treat summer as Halloween road trip time. Many of the places we vacation in the midwest have haunted houses (Mackinaw City MI, Mackinaw Island MI, Soo Locks MI, Niagara Falls CA, Sandusky Ohio). There generally aren't long lines and most people are wearing summer shorts and t shirts. Those moonlit nights over the great lakes with all those creepy lighthouses that you know are haunted, the evil sea gulls who are waiting for you to make one mistake and drop some food so they can swarm you.

Below is a pic of a fun summer Halloween adventure place to visit for a day or two, it is Point Pleasant WV and home of the Mothman. A summer drive through the TNT area at dusk will send chills down your spine. Searching and finding little places like this make summer a great Halloween season IMO. I'll bet there are some great summer haunts near you as well.

Sculpture Statue Memorial Landmark Monument

The time I would like to skip is Back to School time because summer vacation season ends when my kid goes back to school - and those pens, pencils, backpacks, and papers are the most boring stuff to look at when you know there will soon be animatronics and bones filling those aisle. Because of the tedious nature of this horrible time of year we begin putting up our indoor Halloween scene setters on Labor Day weekend. It keeps our minds focused and away from those aisles and aisles of blank paper and plastic pencil sharpeners during Back to School.

I think that must be hell for a haunter, aisles and aisle of blank paper and pencil sharpeners that seem to never run out, year after year. No imagination, same stuff every year, I shudder even thinking about it.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
creepymagic maybe it's a great lakes thing lol. Though I'm surrounded by Lake Ontario and the Finger Lakes everything you wrote was spot on how I feel also. Summers way to short for us Northerners. I love Halloween but summer is always over in a flash. Fall means the beginning of another long cold winter so I never want it rushed. There is plenty of gorgeous old victorians, lighthouses, tons of state parks to sit by a fire, beautiful cemeterys, and it is finally warm enough outside to enjoy them all. Besides I have way too many things that I need to finish :D. We've actually had almost fall like weather the past few days here. Had to shut my windows and wrap in a blanket inside.

·
Registered
456 Posts
I'm itching for fall! Hobby Lobby already has fall stuff on the shelves. It's like a cruel tease to see tat kind of thing when it is geting to the time when 90 degree temps are the average. There have been a few days this past couple of weeks where I stepped outside and thought that it felt like fall. It's tormenting to think that the 90+ degree days are a few days away. But those glorious days with the smell of moldering leaves are coming eases the strain.

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
For many years my little town was always listed as "The Coldest Town in Illinois" (32 degrees below zero, Encyclopedia Britannica )
The Summer of 1919? was so hot an estimated 20,000 farm animals died in this County in a few days because of the intense heat, but the cold kills off many nasty insects and the heat makes the corn grow!
When it is hot I run the furnace blower and suck basement and wine cellar air to the first floor (Where we live) We also now dehumidify that air , and if needed we have some window AC units. The house is covered with massive vines and we have numerous trees in the yard for the shade all these plants provide.. but I Still have some roof work to do here, and that will not be happening when it is 95 degrees here!
I get to sleep once and awhile.

Reactions: Greenwick

·
Registered
766 Posts
Im getting antsy but still have a few more props to build. I have at least half or more done.......
At the end of August im putting out the fencing for a dry run idea..... going through all my sound
system stuff, electric lights, wires etc..... to make sure everything is ready to roll. Can't set up and find
out something is missing at the last minute.

·
Registered
396 Posts
I like summer as it's the time to go and enjoy the beach and lake. But I also work outside in our lovely 100+ degree 95% humidity days which I call it my weight loss program. I'm like many on here as I still have a ton to finish and I'm always testing and changing to make everything work right. Think I have 2 more major builds then it's all the small stuff.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I'm starting to get all of my plans ready! I've gotten my to-list started and now I'm at the beginning stages of my price comparisons research. I have decided to do a haunted pirate theme this year and can NOT wait to start putting things together! I see many, many home depot runs in the next few weeks! ....And I'm in Houston, so...please bring on the pumpkin spice, 'cooler' temperatures and late night fire pit conversations. :)

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
I love the fall but summer as well. I'm an outdoors person, and play tennis a few times a week plus enjoy yard work and walking the dog. It also helps that we have an in-ground pool and I jump in to cool off several times a day and night. Here on the mountain the atmosphere and noises are a real measure of the change in season. The spring peepers (tree frogs) and other toads mate once the weather breaks, and their singing is a constant chorus through the end of May. Plus we have a stream and pond on our property which they love. Deep summer brings out the cicadas, but as it gets a bit cooler, the katydids, leaf hoppers, and grasshoppers start up early evening into night, and continue into fall. I already hear a few crickets, but they won't start singing full throttle for a while yet. I hear owls usually a few times a week, but they're louder once it gets cooler as well.

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I need to work on pumpkins tonight, but that means going out to the garage to get the high temp hot glue gun. Walking outside, even at night, is like walking into someone's mouth.

·
Registered
240 Posts
I need to work on pumpkins tonight, but that means going out to the garage to get the high temp hot glue gun. Walking outside, even at night, is like walking into someone's mouth.
After reading that maybe those cold Michigan winters aren't so bad after all if we avoid summers like that.

We just got back from Cedar Point (just off Lake eerie) and visited Boneville via the train there. I shot this video which was my Halloween "fix" for the day.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts