Halloween Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have got a few RC toys that I can hack. I was thinking of making props from these. I would like to be able to add/control lights and sound.

I already have the moving platform, since the car moves in all directions.

Any ideas or success stories on how to do this?

·
Registered
34 Posts
If you don't mind cheap cheesy and effective, just attach one of the larger spiders with flexible legs to the RC car, then park it under a regular vehicle. When someone comes near you run the spider out from hiding and scare the heck out of them.
The first year I did this I attached a glow stick, that seemed to diminish the effect, ever since I just have the spider appear when least expected and get rewarded with screams. A couple years back I chased some teenagers down the street with my spider on wheels.

here is a pic of my spider

Attack Spider pictures from halloween photos on webshots

edited to add link

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah that's cool...I am thinking of something similar. My project would be a little more complex but not by much. Just need to be able to hit the lights (EYES) when I want and set off the sound when I want.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Hi Bill I have been busy, we just got back from the Florida M&T. I have been thinking about what you want to do. If the Remote car you are using has lights. I would think that you could hook in that line for your lights. Maybe even switch them for colored leds to get the look you want. If you can find one of those sound boxes that let you record your own sounds. Most of them you can hack the play button to get them to start. So you could hook it into the lights or either to a movement of the remote car. They have their own power supply. The trick is to find one that has good volume. Some body posted a link during Halloween where you could get one. He said it had good volume. If I can find it I will send it to you. Give me a day or 2. Still have to catch up on work. But I will try and find it.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Billman, I have a little circuit board (about 1" square) that will control 2 leds for eyes from a standard RC motor controller. It works exactly the same as a servo motor except it changes the brightness of the LED. The only issue is that this circuit cannot accept a voltage above about 5.2V so if you are running a power supply for your motors higher than this it won't work. If this voltage is acceptable and you are interested in trying one send me a PM with your address and I will send you one for free if you tell me how it works. I have Green, blue or red leds so tell me which color you want.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Billman, I have a little circuit board (about 1" square) that will control 2 leds for eyes from a standard RC motor controller. It works exactly the same as a servo motor except it changes the brightness of the LED. The only issue is that this circuit cannot accept a voltage above about 5.2V so if you are running a power supply for your motors higher than this it won't work. If this voltage is acceptable and you are interested in trying one send me a PM with your address and I will send you one for free if you tell me how it works. I have Green, blue or red leds so tell me which color you want.
Thanks for the offer but yeah the voltage would not work me..but thanks again

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Looks like I need to get more into the rc stuff...anyone know of some good tutorial sites?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts