Halloween Forum banner

Razor Blades for Real?

1647 Views 11 Replies 9 Participants Last post by  Blarghity
Just saw this posted in the Hauntcast Minions group on Facebook:
Razor Blade Found Wrapped In Child's Candy Bar After Trick-Or-Treating
I'm seriously hoping this is fake, but even if it is this is going to have serious impact on Halloween for most of us. This is the first I'm hearing about it, but I'm now watching Facebook like a hawk to see if any of the "Mom" pages I follow post anything about it.
Thoughts?
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Human Candy Shovel
1,107 Posts
I'll point out that there has been no picture of this razor blade released. Given the candy it was supposedly found in, I can see it being a broken utility knife blade from cutting open sacks of rice for the Nestle Crunch bars. Or it could have broken off the machine that cuts the wrappers.

However, If it turns out to be a traditional single straight blade razor, then yes, it is a scam. I won't be surprised if this is a seemingly wealthy family drowning in debt and looking for a quick payday to fix their financial problems. At least they aren't murdering their kids with tainted candy for the life insurance policies.

In other Halloween violence news from the Philly area, we had a mugging with a gun with a Halloween mask used for a disguise and on Long Island in NY state, there was a homeinvasion involving a party of 5supposedToTs.

· Human Candy Shovel
1,107 Posts
Correct me if I am wrong, I googled the whole razor blade thing a few months ago after a similar conversation. Never been an offical finding etc of poison or tampered candy anywhere......This is one of those urban legends that sounds so plausable that it gets traction.
This isn't at all correct. There have been dozens of incidents where candy has been tampered with. Problem is all reporters turn to one guy for validation, Joel Best. He quite literally wrote the book about twisting statistics to suit a view point, and his view point is Halloween candy tampering, which he refers to as "Halloween Sadism," doesn't exist. So if you ate a piece of tampered ToT candy on November 1, he would claim you ate the candy for breakfast and it had nothing to do with Halloween. A perfect example, Joel Best claims that the Candyman murder in 1974 doesn't count as Halloween candy tampering because the father of the boy that died tampered with the candy to collect on a life insurance policy. He has twisted the definition to such an extent that an "official" Halloween candy tampering would have to be a purely random, motiveless act with no connection whatsoever (including geographic) between the perpetrator and victims.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.