Halloween Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
The Haunting Girl
1,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just saw this posted in the Hauntcast Minions group on Facebook:
Razor Blade Found Wrapped In Child's Candy Bar After Trick-Or-Treating
I'm seriously hoping this is fake, but even if it is this is going to have serious impact on Halloween for most of us. This is the first I'm hearing about it, but I'm now watching Facebook like a hawk to see if any of the "Mom" pages I follow post anything about it.
Thoughts?

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
Ok, here's my tale on this. 1. You can tell if it was done at the factory, because you can feel it. 2. They shouldn't allow factory workers, (or whatever you call candy manufacturing/mass production facilities,) to have that stuff. 3. If it was done at home, you can tell, because even with glue, the package won't be as good as they make it.

·
Human Candy Shovel
1,107 Posts
I'll point out that there has been no picture of this razor blade released. Given the candy it was supposedly found in, I can see it being a broken utility knife blade from cutting open sacks of rice for the Nestle Crunch bars. Or it could have broken off the machine that cuts the wrappers.

However, If it turns out to be a traditional single straight blade razor, then yes, it is a scam. I won't be surprised if this is a seemingly wealthy family drowning in debt and looking for a quick payday to fix their financial problems. At least they aren't murdering their kids with tainted candy for the life insurance policies.

In other Halloween violence news from the Philly area, we had a mugging with a gun with a Halloween mask used for a disguise and on Long Island in NY state, there was a homeinvasion involving a party of 5supposedToTs.

·
His name is Roger Clyne
10,572 Posts
This is the thing that bothers me about all of these scares, it would be pretty easy to figure out where this candy originated. The reporter also said that the kid THINKS it was a sealed wrapper. He THINKS it was sealed, he's not POSITIVE it was sealed. And if it was sealed it was a factory issue then. If it was just a piece of something sharp that's very different from an entire razor blade which wouldn't actually fit into any of the "fun sized" stuff that's handed out now.

1)If the kid was under a certain age an adult would have been with them so the adult would know where they went ToTing so they could say to the authorities "we went ToTing at these houses" so it would have to be someone in one of the houses in that area that gave it out.

2)If the kid was old enough to go on his/her own, the kid would know & tell where he/sh went with the same outcome as above.

3)If it turns out it was a factory thing, you'd still need to know where the kids went & THEN you could trace where the candy was bought, from what store, & back to the manufacturer.

So unless you're passing people who are just tossing candy into kids bags randomly on the street, you KNOW where your kids candy came from & could go back to it happening in a certain area.

And as someone else mentioned, you could easily tell if a piece of candy has been opened & altered so at the very least you could say the candy was opened or unopened.

Go ahead, open a Fun Sized Milky Way then try to stick something in it & glue the paper back together or try to stick something into it without altering the paper, see how hard it is.

It's not so easy. Not that I've tried but whenever I try to picture it in my head all I can think is that it's gotta be damn near impossible to alter candy outside the factory without there being some clues.

Now I KNOW some kids will eat the candy on the way home or just start stuff their gobs with it so it could be possible to be injured, but I still have a hard time buying most of these stories.

·
Registered
3,636 Posts
I was so disgusted watching TMZ a couple nights ago when they asked a celebrity what he was doing for halloween. He said he doesn't celebrate because as a kid his brother was poisoned by candy and his mom prayed to god that if he let him live she would never celebrate halloween again...so he never did either.

Then one of the guys on the show claimed he opended a box of candy once and needles fell out. Harvey Levin then began jumping up and down shouting "YES,YES they DO that kind of stuff!!!"

Can you imagine how many people saw that show and now believe that crap :(

·
The Haunting Girl
1,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes, that is my concern. No matter how fake something is there will always be people who believe it and spread it around telling everyone that it's true. Of course we all look at and we know it was probably a set up for easy money or 15 minutes of fame, but it will now be used by the anti-Halloween groups as part of their gospel as to why Halloween is dangerous and evil.
While checking to see if it made as far as News 12 NJ, I saw another story about a 4 year old boy that was beaten up by three teenage girls for his candy. He apparently didn't do anything to provoke the girls and is now the child is scared to go outside according to his mother. True or not, the story does have a bit of a happy ending as another 4 year old, a little girl, is donating half her candy to the little boy.
The fact that these stories are getting out there and being constantly replayed by Mom-sites and media groups is my concern. I never see posts or stories about how some of these tales are fake except by people like us.

·
Human Candy Shovel
1,107 Posts
Correct me if I am wrong, I googled the whole razor blade thing a few months ago after a similar conversation. Never been an offical finding etc of poison or tampered candy anywhere......This is one of those urban legends that sounds so plausable that it gets traction.
This isn't at all correct. There have been dozens of incidents where candy has been tampered with. Problem is all reporters turn to one guy for validation, Joel Best. He quite literally wrote the book about twisting statistics to suit a view point, and his view point is Halloween candy tampering, which he refers to as "Halloween Sadism," doesn't exist. So if you ate a piece of tampered ToT candy on November 1, he would claim you ate the candy for breakfast and it had nothing to do with Halloween. A perfect example, Joel Best claims that the Candyman murder in 1974 doesn't count as Halloween candy tampering because the father of the boy that died tampered with the candy to collect on a life insurance policy. He has twisted the definition to such an extent that an "official" Halloween candy tampering would have to be a purely random, motiveless act with no connection whatsoever (including geographic) between the perpetrator and victims.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts