Halloween Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Here are some pics of the mansion room I built for the haunt this year (Haunted Nightmare at the Nile).
The interior panels are made from 4'X8' sheets of 1/4" plywood on 2"x2" frames. The top half of the panels are covered with wall paper and the bottom part has faux wood paneling. The house was running two projections; Ghostly Apparitions, and Unliving Portraits, both from AtmosfearFX. There was also a 2 way mirror prop, and secret entrances in the paneling for actors to scare from. The portraits projection over the fireplace was triggered by a mat switch under the rug. The exit led guests to a path through the graveyard, and on to the rest of the haunt.
Pete

·
Registered
606 Posts
LOVE THIS!!! I want to go with a haunted house theme, and this is perfect! The costumes and make-up are gorgeous too. Great job!

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks all! We had a lot of fun.
Here is a shameless selfie of me in character "as the Grave Digger"

Some behind the scenes shots:
This is the mirror in the hall illusion. I had it running off a pico FX triggered by a PIR.
Worked great. I also had it set up to have a live actor behind the mirror as an option.

This is the image in the mirror. It would fade in and out of view using the Pico FX controller. I lit him up with a UV LED for this picture.

e.

·
Registered
854 Posts
Hey Capt'n! Good Stuff there! I really like the "ghost" from the mirror - very Charles Dickens-esque. It's also nice to see a fire extinguisher handy. Safety first and all that. Looks great!
HM

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hey Capt'n! Good Stuff there! I really like the "ghost" from the mirror - very Charles Dickens-esque. It's also nice to see a fire extinguisher handy. Safety first and all that. Looks great!
HM
Thanks, I am not even sure where the "Ghost" came from. I borrowed him from another designer. It looked awesome when lit up behind the mirror.
I thought it looked Haunted Mansionish, but I can see the Dickens now that you mention it.
Pete

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
My haunt is (or could be?) a "Mansion". I used to attend the Thursday night junk auction 10 miles from here and for less than usually $20 I could bring home a full-sized pick-up truck full of "Stuff".(Everything always went really cheap!) Antique doors for 25cents each, a wood burner with a fancy design in the cast iron, old furniture, chairs and small end-tables mostly.
Then I furnished my first room and learned that people can be very pig-like when it comes to sitting on your haunted house antique chairs. It was like an ad for Rice Crispies, "Snap! Crackle Pop!" Broken old chairs from two or more large bodies sitting in the chair at the same time, sometimes a pile of people stacked up on top of one another! No wonder the poor old chairs broke!
I fixed them over and over, I finally gave up (I had nothing much left to work with) and put them up-high overlooking everyone in that room.
Now two old couches (1935?) (1960)? and a set of four steel framed theater seats (as one unit) handle the butts in that room.
At various times over the years I have had the couches doing little "Tricks" that scared people. I have never had the theater seats doing anything, yet some people will swear something "Touched my leg! " Or even Grabbed my leg!" as they sat there. I will take a very bright light and even show them, there is nothing and no way that anyone or anything could have done that.--Truth.
But then it IS a Haunted House!
(Thanks Great Grandfather?" )

·
Lady Of The Lake
2,729 Posts
Everything looks great Captpete, how did you do the library book shelf and where or how did you get your portraits so big. All the ones I find I cant blow up that large.

Here are some pics of the mansion room I built for the haunt this year (Haunted Nightmare at the Nile).
The interior panels are made from 4'X8' sheets of 1/4" plywood on 2"x2" frames. The top half of the panels are covered with wall paper and the bottom part has faux wood paneling. The house was running two projections; Ghostly Apparitions, and Unliving Portraits, both from AtmosfearFX. There was also a 2 way mirror prop, and secret entrances in the paneling for actors to scare from. The portraits projection over the fireplace was triggered by a mat switch under the rug. The exit led guests to a path through the graveyard, and on to the rest of the haunt.
Pete

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The bookshelf is a 4x8 panel with faux books made from printed paper for the spines glued to a 2" foam sheet. I am going to add some more books and curios to bookshelves this year. The portraits are rear projections, so they can be as big as the projector allows. I used a ultra short throw projector and still got a 72" picture.
Everything looks great Captpete, how did you do the library book shelf and where or how did you get your portraits so big. All the ones I find I cant blow up that large.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Looks ****ing sweet!!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts