Halloween Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wow what a year. We took on way too much thanks to hubby. I worked myself nearly to death with several freak outs along the way. But somehow we got it all done. And even then we faced some hard times. After getting everything finished and a majority set up the day before, we got swamped by what I now call the Halloween monsoon. We got 5 inches of rain in just a matter of hours. The ground began to get too over saturated and our rebar stakes began to give out as we watched through the windows. Small detail panels on our mausoleum had their velcro give out. And worst of all the rain was just too much for Araxxus the Spider Queen. I sealed that paper mache and used great stuff for protection and stability, but i just didn't get it good enough to withstand the onslaught of torrential rain. When hubby walked in carrying the spider queen's head, the entire bottom a shattered sloppy mess, and the spikes of her crown broken, I kinda died a little inside. But fifteen minutes of staring at the floor in dismay, the words great stuff kept whispering in my brain. And by some miracle I repaired the head and fixed the giant butt which was beginning to give out.

It rained for most of the day on Halloween, and we were not sure if we would have time to get out there and fix stuff up or even set up the last bits. But that afternoon the rain let up and we were able to go out and assess the damage. We quickly went to work fixing things and setting up the last details. It was a mad rush and we didn't get everything in place and fully set up but we got it close enough. I tried to go in slightly early to begin my makeup, since I am usually the one out there alone when the first hordes of TOTs show, while everyone finishes there makeup. But just as I got the prosthetic scarecrow piece latexed I heard a crash, followed by people calling me that hubby needs me right now. I rushed outside and to my horror saw that our new entrance columns and sign had fallen forward and crashed. Now we had a metal rod running through those things that slid over a long piece of solid rebar driven deep into the ground. But it wasn't enough the ground was too soft from the rain and that one freak gust of wind took them out. Even worse was the fact that they were sitting flat on their faces, the side that had big lanterns fit to them. The crash had driven the lanterns through the column panel and into the inside of the columns.

Hubby just about lost it. Me thankfully I had been inoculated from despair by my crushing defeat with the spider queen. Our neighbors rushed in to the rescue with longer rebar and some rope with some sweet stakes to stake the columns into place. We had to turn the columns to hide the shattered panels. But we got them back up. And though they were missing their fancy lanterns and the skull stonework, they worked and still looked good, as long as you didn't look at their side. The spider queen miraculously made a recovery as well. So somehow despite it all we got everything back up. And though it wasn't quite as nice as what we had intended it was amazing.

Only one of our four haunters got their make up this year due to the rush for completion but at least we all had our costumes so it still worked. My latex prosthetic was torn off and tossed aside during the column fiasco so no scarecrow. But hubby did get to complete his Raven King outfit. So without further delay here are some pics.
DSCF2962.jpg
This is our awesome Haunt crew in the pumpkin patch, Sarah the awesome neighbor- front left, Me the unfinished scarecrow- back left, Cate our cackling witch- front right, and hubby as the Raven King- Back right.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Our front entrance before the collapse.
DSCF2921.jpg
Front view Graveyard side.
DSCF2918.jpg
Front view Spider section
DSCF2946.jpg
Front view Witch hut and Pumpkin patch side
DSCF2922.jpg
And yes Araxxus the Spider Queen Survived
DSCF2893.jpg

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Aranax- The Spider Queen's Consort
DSCF2898.jpg
One of our tricky skeletons.
DSCF2899.jpg
Daytime- Witch's Hut/recyced old mausoleum
DSCF2917.jpg
Night time- Witch's Hut
DSCF2929.jpg
Front Porch Facade leading to new Mausoleum
DSCF2950.jpg

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Pics continued

Daytime- Goliath and the pumpkin patch
DSCF2968.jpg
Night time- pumpkin patch
DSCF2932.jpg
The new Mausoleum
DSCF2974.jpg
Banshee in the mausoleum
DSCF2856.jpg
Fenris the werewolf. His scene wasn't finished but he still terrified the kids.
DSCF2961.jpg
Graveyard pic
DSCF2943.jpg

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
We have awesome neighbors. As soon as they heard the crash of our columns they came running. And everyone had an idea of how to get things back in order and all were willing to lend us stakes and rope and anything else we needed to get things going again.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts