Halloween Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone done much with a Raspberry Pi and/or Arduino in their props? I did some stuff last year with both and am planning on adding some more this year and was curious what other people have done.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Search the forums for arduino and you'll get a few hits on some projects.

Here's a discussion from a while back that provided some excellent code to handle multi tasking with an arduino.

http://www.halloweenforum.com/tutorials-and-step-by-step/122169-arduino-motion-sensor-activated-prop-controls-2.html

I had used an arduino to control all of my first garage haunt along with some 4 button bangers I'd soldered up. I used the processors to trigger on PIR input and to ignore additional input for a period of time. The biggest problem I had was the timing in that in some cases when motion was detected in one area I had used the arduino to trigger additional events. The problem is you can do dry runs all night long but the reality is people will move at different paces.

So I had noticed that sometimes the kids would start running through the haunt and a pneumatic prop would trigger after they'd passed it cause they were cooking through the haunt.

The arduino was great as the whole haunt was automated cause we didn't have any help. Now we have 2 other families helping out so I'm relying less on automation and more on having bodies in place.

·
Disney Inspired
840 Posts
I am looking at using Pi this year to control my pixel floods. Newbie to this world, and I am realizing that there is a lot that can be done with that little processor! Any recommendations or advice would be great.

Look forward to seeing how others are using this technology.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I made an Arduino "pumpkin candle" that used an RGB LED to realistically flicker like a candle, then cahnge to a solid color (red, green, or purple) at random intervals and then back to flickering like a candle. It looked great in my pumpkin, but it was just a prototype thrown together on a bread board with an Arduino UNO.

This year I will probably put it all onto a small board with an ATTiny IC and put it all into a case with battery supply. That way it's an "all-in-one" solution that I can drop into the pumpkin and forget about it (and I'm only out a few bucks if some kid takes off with it). Arduino is great for prototyping stuff like this

One year I tried to make a setup that would run a wiper motor triggered by a motion sensor. I had it working in prototype form, but when I got it all into a board it didn't work right. I ended up going back to the tried and true modified motion sensor lamp to turn on the power to the motor.

I have a few RasPi's sitting around but haven't gotten around to using them for haunt stuff yet ... maybe next year.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I made an Arduino "pumpkin candle" that used an RGB LED to realistically flicker like a candle, then cahnge to a solid color (red, green, or purple) at random intervals and then back to flickering like a candle. It looked great in my pumpkin, but it was just a prototype thrown together on a bread board with an Arduino UNO.

This year I will probably put it all onto a small board with an ATTiny IC and put it all into a case with battery supply. That way it's an "all-in-one" solution that I can drop into the pumpkin and forget about it (and I'm only out a few bucks if some kid takes off with it). Arduino is great for prototyping stuff like this

One year I tried to make a setup that would run a wiper motor triggered by a motion sensor. I had it working in prototype form, but when I got it all into a board it didn't work right. I ended up going back to the tried and true modified motion sensor lamp to turn on the power to the motor.

I have a few RasPi's sitting around but haven't gotten around to using them for haunt stuff yet ... maybe next year.
Nice! I've been working on a couple of Raspberry Pi & Arduino projects this year myself. When I've got them working I'll make a post about them.

·
Registered
4 Posts

For programming individual attiny's, I've found the Tiny AVR programmer from Sparkfun super handy.

·
Registered
10 Posts
For programming individual attiny's, I've found the Tiny AVR programmer from Sparkfun super handy.
For now I've been programming the ATTiny with my Arduino Uno hooked up to a breadboard. I might make my own programmer so I don't have to keep looking up how to hook up the breadboard to the Arduino for programming. Though the Tiny AVR is pretty cheap so that might be the best way to go without spending too much time tinkering on the programmer.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi, check out The Falcon Pi Player at Falconchristmas.com, it's an amazing project that uses a Pi for pixel led control, video playback, and loads more, for arduino based projects check out Fourbanger.com for a 4 channel banger control board that costs less than $20 and works great.

This year I am using two of the falcon players with projectors showing atoms fear vids in my haunt

·
Registered
4 Posts
For now I've been programming the ATTiny with my Arduino Uno hooked up to a breadboard. I might make my own programmer so I don't have to keep looking up how to hook up the breadboard to the Arduino for programming. Though the Tiny AVR is pretty cheap so that might be the best way to go without spending too much time tinkering on the programmer.
I made one for 28 pin Atmegas. You could definitely go that route. I like that the Sparkfun programmer has a USB connector built in, and breaks out all the pins so you can prototype on the programmer. You could, of course, just make something similar, and probably for a lot less money.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts