Halloween Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

Kinda looking/searching into more animatronic props lately (building myself) and wanna get more into electrical and motors, etc. I created this prop this year, kinda like tombstone, built outta foam and wood. Maybe weights 20lbs or so. I was thinking of raising it up and down. So this tombstone for example would lay on the grass, and someone would come by or maybe I would do a timer, it would raise upright. Then go back down after a min or whatever.

Would I be looking at getting something like a Linear Actuator and a 12V power supply? How do I know what would work best? I dont need it to raise quickly by any means like pneumatic would, but reasonably fast.

Thoughts on where I should go from here?

·
Registered
719 Posts
Is the moving part that needs lifting the part that weighs 20 pounds? I want pics of the prop in its current state.

You could use a linear actuator. You could use a pivoting room fan to hack the oscillating motion components. You could get some aluminum bars and some sliding closet door rollers and wheels. You could use pneumatics or hydraulics with a few large syringes as your actuators and power source. You could use some kinematics to make a linkage to lift it with a couple of arms to gain mechanical advantage. You could use a string and pulley with a reversible electric motor and a spool.

It really depends on what your current design looks like.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is the moving part that needs lifting the part that weighs 20 pounds? I want pics of the prop in its current state.

You could use a linear actuator. You could use a pivoting room fan to hack the oscillating motion components. You could get some aluminum bars and some sliding closet door rollers and wheels. You could use pneumatics or hydraulics with a few large syringes as your actuators and power source. You could use some kinematics to make a linkage to lift it with a couple of arms to gain mechanical advantage. You could use a string and pulley with a reversible electric motor and a spool.

It really depends on what your current design looks like.

·
Registered
3,237 Posts
Whatever mechanism you choose to go with, you're probably not gonna get this to lay flat on the grass unless you dig a hole (which would be a bad idea if it rains). That being said, to raise it at a moderate speed I think your best option would be a wiper motor and Picovolt control from FrightProps.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Put it on a piano hinge. Use a pneumatic or linear actuator. You can control the speed of a pnuematic with flow control valves. Get a double acting cylinder so you can control both push and pull. A simple timer relay is all you need. Have it activate to set X time, and reset at Y time.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Chugger - IMHO there is no need to make this move. It is an interesting prop on its own and I don't see what making it move would get you. On top of that, the apparatus needed to move something this large and heavy is not trivial. I would urge you to leave this prop as it is and if you are dead set on making something move then Yay! ...but create something new with the movement in mind from the get-go. There are many ideas for moving props on this site that would be relatively easy to make and provide an excellent place to start with moving props.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts