Halloween Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Perhaps more of an aesthetics question. Say I wanted to run a raised border around a tombstone, perhaps using dense yarn or braided rope. Is it necessary to smooth it into the tombstone with monster mud? Or can I just attach with adhesive and do Drylok straight over it? Or, as I lack monster mud, is there some advantage to coating with liquid latex first..especially for the yarn?

·
Typical Ghoul Next Door
7,009 Posts
I imagine it will react similar to the way the wigs and fabrics do when they're monster mudded - will suck up LOTS of liquid and may require many coats and fussing with it to get it looking good. I wouldn't think you'd need to glue it down first, just need to go slow, remove excess gloppy stuff and make sure to allow it to dry flat and completely before adding any additional/tweaks, and final paint/protective coat.

The yarn will soak up any liquids and need to be fussed with to get it exactly as you want it, but otherwise I'd try dipping short lengths (so you can handle it easier) into a small container of drylok, gently wring it out so it's not super drippy, then position it onto the drylocked surface. Once it dries, it may need additional drylok brushed into the areas to increase the contact/grip and fill in any gaps where things might be prone to getting bumped or collect rain/moisture to protect it a bit more.

May be a good tutorial to skim over as it does cover the making of and working with thick fabrics and how it will look/react with mudding/drylok.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Depending on how thick of a raised boarder you desire you can use extrude poly foam, the pink foam most people use to make tombstones. They sell it at most hardware stores and I typically use the 1/2" or 1" thick board for raised boarders (see photo). If you want to use pipe cleaners that's possible but the edges will be round and it may not give you the appearance that you want.

·
Typical Ghoul Next Door
7,009 Posts
Oh! The Skeleton Crew's suggestion reminded me that I've also seen both plaster and woodworking bits and bobs (laser cut/cast stuff) used on tombstones. Usually glued on then mudded/painted along with the rest of the stone.

I can't find easily examples of the long run borders or plaster cast decorations, but this should give you a general idea.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Another thought. What if I were to use pipe cleaners that are easily bendable into any shape and don’t have problem of absorbing like yarn. I’ll give it a shot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Another thought is to use sheets of craft foam like they sell at the dollar store. Its not very thick but you could layer several sheets together and cut out patterns / boarder fairly easily

·
Registered
251 Posts
How did you go about doing the outside layer, the raised portion? I am trying to figure out how you did the curve.

·
Registered
286 Posts
How did you go about doing the outside layer, the raised portion? I am trying to figure out how you did the curve.
I offset the outside perimeter lines about 1 1/2 - 2 inches. Each offset gives you another layer to the border. I use computer software to generate the template and then print it full size on large sheets of plotter paper. I used 1 1/2" thick foam for the body and all the accent pieces are cut from 1/2". Everything is glued together using foam-adhesive, don't use construction adhesive (my mistake) as it won't completely cure (dry).

1 - 12 of 12 Posts