Halloween Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am beside myself right now. I live in the Sacramento area of Cali. We've been in severe droughts for years, but haven't had almost a drop of rain in 8 or 9 months. I've been thinking about Friday Halloween for years now, and the one time in 7 years that my kids will be around to enjoy it, there is now a 90% chance of rain forecasted. The day before, 0. The day after, 50%, but on the day, 90% chance. I took two days off, been working on some props, etc, and now all for nothing. Most of my stuff is electric, and even if it was water proof, kids won't come out if it's raining. At least most of them wont. Man, it's the only day out of the year I truly look forward to and once again being stuck at the end of October screws us. I seriously want to see about doing a June or July Halloween like holiday. To me it's the most fun kids will have on any holiday, they look forward to dressing up, hanging with friends, candy, etc. Really sucks beyond belief that it's so late in the season and an outdoor event.

·
Grand Poobah
2,899 Posts
rain

Bummer. Hope for the best, maybe it will come in early or late.... ;-)

The kids had 2 days off a couple weeks ago, so I took 2 days off from work to take them to my parents' house and to a big fair.
Well, wouldn't you know it? Heavy friggin' rains and they never stopped. However, I was able to pretty much lounge around for 2 days while my parents entertained the kids and my wife got "2 days off" at home.

I'm not usually a silver lining guy... but I'm hoping that drought lasts a couple days longer for you! LOL

I am beside myself right now. I live in the Sacramento area of Cali. We've been in severe droughts for years, but haven't had almost a drop of rain in 8 or 9 months. I've been thinking about Friday Halloween for years now, and the one time in 7 years that my kids will be around to enjoy it, there is now a 90% chance of rain forecasted. The day before, 0. The day after, 50%, but on the day, 90% chance. I took two days off, been working on some props, etc, and now all for nothing. Most of my stuff is electric, and even if it was water proof, kids won't come out if it's raining. At least most of them wont. Man, it's the only day out of the year I truly look forward to and once again being stuck at the end of October screws us. I seriously want to see about doing a June or July Halloween like holiday. To me it's the most fun kids will have on any holiday, they look forward to dressing up, hanging with friends, candy, etc. Really sucks beyond belief that it's so late in the season and an outdoor event.

·
Registered
897 Posts
It has been raining here every day for the last 2 1/2 weeks and it isn't expected to let up any time soon so I am pretty sure it will rain on Halloween. Last year we had horrible winds and pounding rain and the year before that we had winds so strong I was chasing my props down the road and they were blowing onto the highway. Lots of things got damaged. If it does rain here I won't be putting out my cemetery this year.

Two of my cousins who work in the bush, higher in the mountains, have had to deal with snow for the last couple of weeks but so far we haven't gotten any and I hope we don't until after Halloween. We get frost in the evenings and mornings but so far we are good. It sucks for the kids to run around in winter clothing and not be able to show off thier costumes.

Marie

·
Registered
310 Posts
Yikes. I hadn't looked at a forecast in while. That's terrible - I hope it holds off for a day. Down in the southern part of the state, they are saying we have a slight chance of rain Friday. Past few years, that has meant no rain, but it will just be my luck.

·
Registered
14,681 Posts
My "halloween day" forecast has changed so many times over the last few weeks from no rain to rain. And just rain on the day of halloween, once halloween day and the day before. Rest of the week has been forecast as beautiful, even in the low 80s. Been checking two different weather services and right now they are split about halloween. So frustrating. I'm in drought-striken Calif. too. It was raining on Saturday when I woke up and it continued through the morning. Hoping that's it until November although any rain here now is still welcome, just not on the big day...

I so totally get where you guys are coming from. The indecison, the waffling, is driving me crazy. Very very limited space to decorate in a covered area and I'm not willing to take a chance on ruining my props in the rain. As it is I only set up for a few hours. I have some stuff pulled out but have held off on other planned things until the answer looks solid one way or another. I too have been looking forward to a great halloween this year since last year and love the fact that it's on a Friday this year.

·
Human Candy Shovel
1,107 Posts
Halloween some other time of the year?

Well, a bunch of us in the forum are big fans of the idea of getting Walpurgisnacht celebrated here in the states.:D

Walpurgisnacht falls on the last night of April, and it involves bonfires, dancing,and dressing up as various creatures of lore (like witches and the local devil of the forests)

Unfortunately, here in the US and the Netherlands, the holiday has been co-opted by various satanic groups.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walpurgis_Night

·
Registered
104 Posts
Ugh, that would drive me insane as well. There's nothing more defeating than a problem owing to totally random chance that can't be avoided and ruins something that means so much to you. But, I'd say just stay on your toes and keep an eye on the forecast. It could very likely change by Friday.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Talking WEATHER on this Forum is the only thing I hate on this forum.
You feel bad for those who are having weather challenges, BUT if its not your weather pattern, you do the Halloween Jig!
Here in Jersey, No SNOW, No HURRICANE, No POWER OUTAGE, maybe moisture late, but can deal with that.
So doing my Halloween Weather Jig, but feel your pain!

·
Look behind you
1,316 Posts
I haven't had a dry Halloween in years. For once I'd like to put animatronics on the yard without the fear of them getting ruined. :mad:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Right there with you, andjarnic. I'm near Sac too, and have been watching the weather forecast with the hopes it will change. I've started letting people know I will be running the complete haunt on Thursday as well, and they are welcome to come by then instead.

·
Kitchen/Green Witch
7,582 Posts
I have had many rainy or even sleet/snowy Halloweens in my area. I have to keep my outdoor decor as waterproof as possible. I can't do all the awesome props and stuff that I'd like to do because our weather tends to be crummy. If it isn't raining, it's super windy. This year, it looks like we may be clear of rain/snow, thankfully...but the temperature is supposed to be the coldest it has been so far this season...highs in the 40's, lows in the 20's. It's going to be, or be near, freezing for ToT, more than likely. If any moisture moves in...well, I suppose we will be seeing snow!

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well at least I am not alone. :) So far it's gotten worse.. says 100% rain all day with heavy winds now. I never put out my props/stuff until the morning of for a couple reasons. The main one is wind.. we seem to get some strong gusts at times that just take most of my stuff down the road. But we've also seen some punk kids come by and steal/break things. I have a camera..but haven't set it up with my alarm outside yet, so one of my TODO items soon. I also don't because of this topic..rain. Like I said most of my stuff is TVs projected, projections on windows, sounds, fog machines, etc. While I do have a covered area that could help if the wind doesn't blast rain into the covered area.. it won't help with ToTs... they won't come out in the droves they usually do. I do all this for the kids, and we live in an area where we get 300 to 500 kids/adults walking by, so it's fun, and I enjoy the recognition and enjoyment of kids and adults. So with solid rain in the forecast, I am waiting till Friday afternoon to even get started. Plus, this being a Friday, we planned a block party, etc. Really bums me out, honestly I probably shouldn't be so disheartened but I am. Especially this year. I am glad to be honest I didn't spend as much time as I had planned on DMX coding and props. I did think about setting up Thursday as well, but it is supposed to be windy and possible rain on Thursday now, all the way through Saturday. so now I am just not interested in even spending the time doing it.

·
Registered
14,681 Posts
Won't see the radar maps for a little bit but right now it's bright, warm and sunny and they are saying rain, chance of a thunderstorm, are projected to enter our area on Friday. Everyone seems to be in agreement with that model.

·
Registered
14,681 Posts
Sounds like a lot of areas are going to have wet weather. I've been pretty much done with shopping for a week or so but I know a lot of families run to the store close to halloween for last minute shopping. Can't be good for stores in those areas selling halloween mdse. Who wants to run out and buy decorations to use outdoors at that point? Expect costumes will still do okay since they are also used for parties.

We haven't bought candy yet and not sure how to judge for this year given the rain.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts