Halloween Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Typical Ghoul Next Door
7,078 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I lost the caps to my crypt's columns last night due to a HEAVY rainstorm. It was so bad I couldn't even see to go out and rescue them.

They are the square tops and bottoms in this pic. It didn't mess up the columns themselves as they are the concrete forms (just one cut in half) and it is treated with a sealant to repel moisture.

My completely cardboard fence columns, however, are fine. :rolleyes:

I think I'm going to remake the column caps in foamcore and use waterproof glue to attach the contact paper onto them so I don't have to worry with them again.

Anyone else had a prop damaged due to rain or snow? I know I take that risk since I'm using cardboard, but this is the first year I've lost something... and it was minimal damage.

I know we typically complain about wind, but around my area, you have to worry about a freak rainstorm and it POURS when it does.:mad:

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
This is the first year I've done a couple papier mache things. The only thing I have put out so far is a bathtub for my Rub-a-Dub scene. The day after I put it out we had rain, and many times thereafter it has poured. Actually the tub only has a couple layers of actual mache and the rest is chicken wire, masking tape, pool noodles, and the rods from a cheap garden arch. I used dry-lok on the mache covering and gloss paint and I was worried that the outer skin would be ruined in the rain but it has weathered rather well. I knew the actual structure would be ok. Now I have a Humpty Dumpty who is all mache and rigid wrap and has not gone out yet. I was going to put him near our covered porch area but not actually under it, and bring him in if it rained, but I can already see that any dampness or moisture will not bode well for poor Humpty, so he'll be in a covered area.

Even yesterday I was going to make a very large foam sign with a nursery rhyme on it using stick on foam letters. When I went out with the foam sheet to check how I would set it in the scene, the wind caught it and almost cracked the foam. I decided to make a smaller sign (more like a tombstone) and just dremel the lettering in. I will probably try not to use any paper or cardboard in exposed areas in the future. We always have high winds and rain in October and I'm finding it a lot of trouble to bring all the non-weatherproof items in.

·
Typical Ghoul Next Door
7,078 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I didn't even think about paper maché.... :eek:

Your tub and Humpty sound nifty - I'm going to have to go see if you have pics!:D

Oh how cool! I love your setup from last year - finger sandwiches ! The tub in the pic with the rats - is paper maché??? WOW!

You need to post pics of the Humpty Dumpty - I can't wait to see that!

·
Registered
355 Posts
I made a really cool pedastal for my gargoyle out of a cardboard box and everyday, I'm watching the poor gargoyle sink into the top of the box! LOL. It hasn't rairned, but the morning dew and the weight of the gargoyle has been enough. I guess I'll have to recreate it out of wood next year =)

I just hope that the box holds up till the 31st!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts