Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I made a lot of progress tonight on a prop I'm pretty excited about: my radioactive bone pit.

The idea I'm going for is that a glob of radioactive waste has cracked through the crust and burbled to the surface, carrying with it the irradiated bones of some poor bastard. There will be a flourescent FCG hovering over it as the unquiet, nuclear spirit. I'm basically using the glowing coals idea but making it green and radioactive instead of red and firey.

Here's the current state:

You can see the in-progress photos here (I'll do my best to keep this album up to date, as well as this thread).

·
Registered
167 Posts
That looks very disturbing....

great job :D

radioactivity has always freaked me out, maybe it was growing up near a nuclear plant...

·
Registered
527 Posts
I like your twist on the fire pit. One of the Gemmy fire and ice green lights would make a good background for the scene.
Pete

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My plan is slightly more elaborate than that (because I can't do anything the easy way, ask my girlfriend). I'm going to mix the UV paint with water and hang the ghost cloth over it with the edge trailing in it. It should creep up the fabric and give me a nice, kind of washy effect. I'll layer a few different colors that way. In my head, it'll look awesome with the UV light below the ghost. We'll see how it plays out...

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The wet look is actually because the paint was still wet when I took the photo. I attempted to replicate that last night with some spray-on lacquer, and... it didn't work very well. Turned the whole thing a bit greyish. I was able to recover with some more of the citrus green, but I'm debating whether to try to pursue that further. I got some good suggestions elsewhere for products to try on it (none of which was what I actually did try, naturally), so... maybe. We'll see.

It's also not holding up its shape without support, so I'll need to add some blocks to the underlying board to keep its dome shape.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Sounds like something to wait on, so you can see if the look grows on you or not.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Make sure you try it out with lights, I did one similar and had to buy green string lights for underneath. Someplace were too dark with paint for mine. But your color /faux painting looks fantastic.
Aaand that's exactly what happened. Got the lights yesterday and tried it out, and they're barely visible. I'm going to try poking some unobtrusive holes in it to see if that helps, but I may have to redo it.

If it comes to that, I think I'll approach it with a slightly different understanding: the color's supposed to come from the light, the paint is just there as sort of like a mask.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
So this is what it looks like with the lights:

No, you don't need to adjust your monitor. Looks like I need to try again. I've managed to salvage the stones and bones, so I'm not starting from square one. More soon, once I get more Great Stuff...

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yeah. Hard to tell, eh? You were right about using too much paint. Should be able to get attempt two together on Wednesday night, though.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts