Halloween Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Radio shack is closing stores in malls due to its bankruptcy, which means they are having huge sales! I picked up some arduino shields (2 SD card readers and 2 relay sheilds) for 4 bucks each! Breadboard for 4 bucks, 2 parallax basic stamp homework boards for 10 bucks! Soldering iron with adjustable temperature for 10 bucks! Voltmeter for 5 bucks! The girl working said they were closing only the radio shacks in malls so I'm heading over to San Jose or Salinas to see what's left since my malls was picked to the bone lol. Time to build my 3 axis skull and make things move and shake this Halloween!

·
Registered
880 Posts
The two by us were given lists of the better stuff to be repacked and shipped. Leaving mostly junk in the stores.
I have seen the same thing posted as happening in some other areas.

·
BAD INFLUENCE
11,448 Posts
I remember quite a few of their kits I bought and soldered together. I still have 3 different sets of their stereo speakers from the 70's that I still use quite frequently. I went there recently to get a switch and the sales clerk asked " Can I help you? " I described what I was looking for, a subminiature momentary pushbutton switch, and he looked at me like I just grew a third eye!! All they want to do now is sell phones. I had been shopping there since the late 60's when I was about 10 years old.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I remember quite a few of their kits I bought and soldered together. I still have 3 different sets of their stereo speakers from the 70's that I still use quite frequently. I went there recently to get a switch and the sales clerk asked " Can I help you? " I described what I was looking for, a subminiature momentary pushbutton switch, and he looked at me like I just grew a third eye!! All they want to do now is sell phones. I had been shopping there since the late 60's when I was about 10 years old.
^^^ Exactly! I had the 200 electronic projects kit that came with a book & had the spring terminals to teach basic electronics.
I used to drool over the speakers & drivers I could not afford as a young punk with no money back in the early 80's.
In the last decade also got tired of trying to explain when asked, "so whatcha looking for"? I'd just bee line to the parts drawers to look for that overpriced, low quality component I needed. The sad part is that back in the day, the store really did have its roots in tinkering, ham, and DIY (I bet many current employees probably don't know why it is called Radio Shack- they probably think it is because they sell crappy radios)

·
Registered
3,429 Posts
Yeah, sad to see them go, but the RS we all remember from back in the day disappeared a long time ago. :(

1 - 10 of 10 Posts