Halloween Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my radio controlled 3 axis pirate. He has a wireless camera that allows him to see and hear. A wireless microphone controls his voice. Audio and video are transmitted to a monitor in the house. Movement is controlled by a RC transmitter.
YouTube - pirate01

·
Scared Silly
1,930 Posts
Awesome idea! I ran mine off an airplane controller as a test two years ago, but your level of sophistication with the camera and microphone is unmatched in terms of interactiveness from what I've seen.

A couple of pointers:
You may want to shorten the neck some more. I know Bucky's neck is too short as is, but right now you're up a little too high.
A little wood stain goes a long way. The Lindberg's bleach-white color washes out the details and makes him look more storebought than is generally desireable. I recommend a walnut color.

·
Registered
591 Posts
with all that in his skull I bet you don't have enough room to even put a business card in! great Idea!did you make the three axis or buy the plate and "neck".I wan to make a couple and was hoping someone could show a how to on the neck part I know I can buy it but was hoping maybe to make one if it's not a machine shop job.and how about the plate the servos mount to how do you measure to get the plate to fit?I have two skulls one talky I have the servos but would like to go 3 axis.

·
The Evil Apparitionist
555 Posts
Looks great, good to see a wireless version in action. I have eyes in mine so I'll have to look at sticking a camera up the nose.

Daddy, I've been making my own plates and brackets from the template in HB's original thread. It's not worth it to make your own neck rod when you can buy the entire neck assembly for $25 (including the rod end, spacer, and rotate armature).
Actually it costs less than $10 to make it yourself 1ft x 1/4" threaded rod, tie rod end, brass compression rings, aluminum window screen clip (armature) and a few 1/4" nuts and washers. You don't even have to drill a hole in the end of the rod, just buy a cheap cap nut, drill it, put a screw in and drive it onto the end of the rod. I've made dozens this way.

·
Scared Silly
1,930 Posts
Awesome movement! My friend did something like this (video + bi-directional audio) a few years back. Worked great! Really entertained the line! One thought - add a voice changer to the audio. Not that your voice isn't menacing or anything ;)
I would advise against the voice changer. They tend to be pretty obvious as an electronic gadget, so you're better off just perfectin' yer pirate speech (argh!).

·
Open up and say "Aaaaahh"
1,562 Posts
"Pirates don't like butterflies"...LMAO!
What everyone said...awesome! I really love this prop. Automation just can't beat the fun of interactivity. Well done!

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Nice job! I had thought about doing one with radio control and servos, but never got around to it.. Glad to see someone is more energetic. Don't put in the light up eyes. Isn't it suppose to be dead, so why ruin it and make it look fake.

Great work!!!!

·
Registered
63 Posts
Good job on both the pirate and the Doors from Hello
So are we getting a how to pirate esp. about the wireless RC and the video? How long do your think you batteries will last in that thing? I was thinking about a magic mirror but your system is way better. I have been kicking the interactive thing around in my head. My video system was going to be a baby video monitor to see and hear them and a cheap PA system so they could hear me. Off topic if fire diving is real, that is F'n crazy stuff. !!!!!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Last year I used 4 d cells for the RC stuff....it lasted 2 hours easy. I am now running a 6v battery pack for the RC stuff and a 12v battery for the audio portion. I will do a test at work and see if I need two sets of batteries. I work next to a bar and I though I would set up my Pirate sitting in a chair outside of the bar..... I will be inside my work and interact with the drunks as they come and go.....should be fun and I should get an idea how long everything should last.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts