Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Bête noire
2,631 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Do you have or know where to get the hack?
Thanks
Yes, I have a hack which allows you to change the factory preset "off" intervals from 15 sec and 15 mins (not too useful for prop triggering and resets) to 30 secs and 60 secs. It also shows how to install a switch so you can toggle between the two intervals on the fly. It does require some minimal soldering.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Otaku, how long do you find the 9v battery lasts? I may have to pick up a few of these, they're just what I'm looking for!

PS. Do you have that hack online somewhere?

·
Funeral Crasher
7,435 Posts
Her's a link to the hack and the Timer Board:

Hmm...link won't work. Go to "thefrighteners . com" , look at the bottom of the page and click on "How-to's", then on "Quorum PIR Hack".

I built 3 of these a few years ago and it's not too hard, as long as you know how to solder fairly well. I use one on my Opening tombstone, with the PIR hanging on a tree. Whenever cars or people walk by it automatically goes off.
All the other parts are from Allelectronics. If the part numbers aren't with the tutorial I might still have them somewhere.

·
Bête noire
2,631 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Otaku, how long do you find the 9v battery lasts?
I found that that the battery lasts for many weeks. I have one hacked unit that I use for prop testing and it never gets powered down. After ~ 5 months of tests, the voltage is at 8.2VDC. BTW, the hack that DintheG referred to shows how to wire in an external battery clip so that you can remove the battery easily. I'm currently working on an update that allows the battery to remain in the unit, but the power on/off can be controlled with a toggle switch. More to come on that.

·
Registered
622 Posts
WOW, thanks! You guys are a wealth of information and assets to this forum! Thanks again for all your help in the past!

Mr. G.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
These have worked for me in the past. I have had issues with them not activating so I need to check into some other methods. These are good for the price, I've built relay boards since the output is only 5 volts, you will need a 5 volt relay. Then the contacts can be used to activate you're higher voltage.

·
The Evil Apparitionist
555 Posts
I've gotten a couple of the Quorums from Goldmine b4, they had them for $2.99 on sale. I did the mods and they were ok. Now I use ones like these:
Motion-Activated Switch for Lights. Free Shipping. Lifetime Guarantee.

$11.99 is not bad for a unit that does not require battery power, has adjustable delay from 2 to 5 minutes and has a built-in AC outlet.

My local Harbor Freight has these for $9.99 but I do not see them listed in the online catalog.

·
Bête noire
2,631 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I've seen a number of sensors of that type, but I try to build stand-alone props using just batteries. Sometimes I can't get away with it, though, and I gotta run power cords. My problem is I don't have a lot of outside circuits, so I have to be careful how I lay out the lights etc or I'll pop breakers all night when a fogger starts up. Thank goodness for Kill-A-Watt meters!

·
The Evil Apparitionist
555 Posts
I've seen a number of sensors of that type, but I try to build stand-alone props using just batteries. Sometimes I can't get away with it, though, and I gotta run power cords. My problem is I don't have a lot of outside circuits, so I have to be careful how I lay out the lights etc or I'll pop breakers all night when a fogger starts up. Thank goodness for Kill-A-Watt meters!
Hahaha.... I got tired of flippin breakers at my neighbors so I bought him a sub-panel and stuffed it with a dedicated 20 amp curcuit. The outlets wired to the sub-panel are outside and are orange with black faceplates just for Halloween use. We were adding new props each year and they were begging for more power.

·
HELLoween Ubber Lord
2,681 Posts
(Not to Hijack this) , Hey Otaku,ever get a chance to check out the motion sensor
wall switch unit (hardwired) i found at Orchard supply with a dial switch for a 5 -15 sec / 5-15 min on ?

·
Registered
265 Posts
I personally

use these...I purchased a dozen or so last time they were on sale, and I can vouch for them...they work great...I basically soldered a 5 volt micro relay onto the two points as specified in the instructions that came with the unit, adjusted the sensitivity and voila! Keep in mind that the cone of sensing is about 90 degrees or so within 3 to 40 feet, and in low light, it isn't as accurate as it is in brighter environments...but for $5 plus the cost of a small relay, it's well worth it...oh and there also is a set of jumper pins that will allow you to change the "activated" time also....I think I have the jumper set so that it only activates the relay for 5 seconds or so, then resets...:D

·
Obssessed Haunter
3,037 Posts
So the instructions for the 'timer' are to tell it when to shut off ?
This PIR doesn't have an 'on' time adjustment? Like the ones for a security light.... They have a test mode so the light or what ever you have attached only comes on for a few seconds.

Then the hack for the PIR itself changes the length of time between. So that it cant be activated too soon ? instead of 15sec or 15min, it can be 30 sec or 60 sec ?

Just trying to decide what I need to do.....

·
Bête noire
2,631 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
So the instructions for the 'timer' are to tell it when to shut off ?
This PIR doesn't have an 'on' time adjustment? Like the ones for a security light.... They have a test mode so the light or what ever you have attached only comes on for a few seconds.

Then the hack for the PIR itself changes the length of time between. So that it cant be activated too soon ? instead of 15sec or 15min, it can be 30 sec or 60 sec ?

Just trying to decide what I need to do.....
Hi Lynn,
The PIR is factory-set for an "on"time - after it sees a warm object - of ~2 secs. If you need a longer "on" time, then you can build the little R-C timer/relay circuit described in the product manual.
http://www.goldmine-elec.com/pdf/G4567.pdf

As shown, the circuit will give you a range of about 2 sec to ~2.5 minutes of "on" time. The PIR "off" intervals are pre-set to 15 secs or 15 mins, and this time is toggled by a jumper inside the PIR case. This is the time period that must elapse before the PIR will be enabled again.

Since these times are not too good for prop control, one is kinda too short and the other way too long, I hacked the 4060 ripple timer chip connections to change those times to 30 secs and 60 secs. I also attached a SPDT switch to the jumper terminals so that the "off" time can be changed on the fly without having to open the PIR case or shut it down. The hack involves cutting a couple of pins on the 4060 IC and soldering two jumper wires to the new locations - it's pretty easy to do. Here's a link to the hack:
http://www.*******************/Gary's .htm

You don't need to do the external battery clip portion if you so choose; the battery lasts for a long time and you won't need to change it halfway through the Big Night.

·
Bête noire
2,631 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
OK Otaku Thanks !!! Thats what I thought... I just wasnt too sure of the timer relay circuit..
Looks like I will need to do that too!
I ordered 23 of the PIRS..... We'll see how my soldering skills work out !
23 of them??!! Strike while the iron is hot, I suppose! That's a lot of PIRs, what will you be using them for?

BTW, this little board will easily fit all the parts of that R-C timer circuit:

Dual Mini Board with 213 Holes - RadioShack.com

1 - 20 of 22 Posts