Halloween Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
There's been a few of us that hit that wall......Just a thought though....Instead of cutting it out all together, cut it back to where it doesn't cost so much and isn't so much work to set up.....That should cut the stress back and allow you to enjoy it again.....I cut mine back at least 75% and I'm still on hiatus (not doing anything this year again).....I'm working a lot right now and don't have time anyway......I kept a few of my very favorite props and will do a little something again maybe next year but definitely NOT over the top like past years..........ZR

·
Registered
703 Posts
We all take breaks. There is no shame in that. But to quit something that is so close to your heart, well, seems to be a sin.

I suggest just hanging out on the forum for a while, (its free) and you still can enjoy the holiday.

Since my daughter is getting older, I feel my days of prop building are numbers. But I think I will still participate in ways that best fit me.

As far a selling you stuff, ebay and sites like that are hard because you have to pay for shipping. I suggest either a yard sale or even better, find someone in the neighborhood that will enjoy them, and just give it to them. I only say that because trying to sell stuff that is close to your heart is not only hard, but can be depressing. Most people are not willing to spend the amount of money that we do for this stuff.

·
Registered
872 Posts
I understand how you feel. The last few years I've considered letting Halloween go whereas at one time that would have been unthinkable. I've also noticed my haunts aren't at the level they used to be even though the work and budget is still huge. It's almost like a habit more than a passion now. As soon as Halloween draws near, I feel this compulsion to jump in again.

As for your props and such, I agree that a yard sale or mass donation is the way to go. Just remember to arrange a donation pick up for the day after the sale. Otherwise you'll end up dragging everything back into storage again.

Once you finally decide to let it go, I say just do it. After all, if you get the bug again, you can always restock. :)

·
Registered
455 Posts
You can just send most of that stuff my way; it would be the easiest way for you.

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
If you had built a "Hot-rod" Car,from the ground up, that looked like nobody else's attempt to do such a thing,and everybody was in awe of it and couldn't stop taking pictures of it and making complimentary remarks about it... would you still feel like selling it? Parking it,not licensing it?
Spending precious time and energy copying other people's ideas has never seemed very fulfilling to me,so I haven't.
I remain pretty darn"Happy", to inflict my creations upon my audiences here, whereas their screaming,laughing comes from MY IDEAS,which equals much more fun and basic satisfaction for me, and also inspires people to come here again.
Seeing timid 10 yr. old girl, push a button and make something happen that scares her own Family, will never get "Old" to me,and they will Never forget it.
Maybe the "Show" should be more personalized coming from your own likes and ideas, then it might be more fun and longer lasting for yourself?
Do I have gory props here? No, I don't care for them myself so why would I have them?
"Quitting Halloween ?" Maybe just quitting other people's ideas instead.

Reactions: 22606

·
Registered
383 Posts
Last year I was really busy with work and didn't have any time to set up a display, but I did manage to set up a skeleton walking a dog in the front yard, put up some window decorations, and carved some pumpkins. The rest of my props and ideas stayed in the attic and basement for another time.

I'm not so sure it's wise to get rid of everything because of a fleeting epiphany. It could also be a bout of depression for whatever reason, I know that happened to me but I didn't realize it until later on. So you don't decorate much this year. Maybe you will feel like it in the future. I wouldn't get rid of anything right now.

·
Insert Witty Comment Here
4,484 Posts
Congrats Jubbag12,

I look forward to the day when I can walk away from it all. I don't have an issue with the time it takes to set up, or the time it takes to build props, I don't think the money is an issue......I just want the time that I think about setting up and building back.. I want my brain free of the year-round Halloween clutter. If I knew how to contain it to two months a year, that would be great. So many things don't get done when I am thinking Halloween.

As for getting rid of everything...GREAT IDEA. Just don't give it to a neighbor where you'll see it again, or else you will start thinking they aren't doing a good enough job with your props, or worse yet, that they are have used your props to create a much better setup than you had.. Giving them away is the best as it signifies you don't want them anymore and it's a great way to cut ties, whereas selling them may give you second thoughts where you will tell yourself doen the road that you got rid of it for the money,

1,476 Posts
I've walked away for 2 different Halloween ventures in the last 5 years... I've not got rid of a thing. I admit it I'm a Halloween hoarder. Still have the very first crappy paper garland bats we used for the kids first Halloween party back in1985 in some storage crate. I'm sure when I'm gone the kids will ponder what the heck was mom thinking hanging on to all this... to me they are little slices of memories and since I have the space to keep it I do. I've also come to realize that when my joy of Halloween starts to feel like a job I've made a wrong turn somewhere and have to get back on track. I want to haunt for the joy it brings me. I think that's why after a one time venture into the pro world I will not do it again. I want my profits to be in the fun and not worry about the dollars.

Over the past 5 years I've had a great number of my Haunt friends, both Pro and home haunters, give it all up. One Pro had a couple of BIG warehouse sales, took at least 3 to get rid of the good stuff, the rest was given away or went into the trash. Another Pro managed to sell everything but the haunt walls in one big sale to another haunt. The walls went for Free on Craigslist... we managed to get some, the local fire department took any with doors to use for trainings, what happened to the rest no idea, probably trashed. As for the home haunters, it starts out selling VERY VERY cheap or giving it to those we know locally. Then it's off to craigslist, yard sales, what's left might get passed on to those newly infected with the haunting bug we learned about while shedding our things, then it's the trash.... so much hits the trash it's so sad to see all those things that a friend put time, money, passion and love into sitting in a dumpster. What gets me is how sure they soooo want out, but later manage to keep a foot in. Can't speak for the pros... lost track of them but the home haunters still get excited about building a new prop, searching craiglist for the next great find, talk about what they want to do next Halloween, wish they kept this thing or that.

I don't know what might have happened to make you feel the need to give it up, I say if you have the space, hang onto your things for a year, take a break, revisit the giving it all up. You might also consider "loaning" things to a charity haunt. I know locally there is always some post on Craigslist looking for free Halloween stuff for a charity haunt. Maybe taking more of a back seat and allowing someone else to sweat the small stuff will allow you to enjoy Halloween Haunting again.

If you truly want to shed your things then I say do so closer to Halloween you'll get a better price for your things. Few people are looking for 5 corsped skellys to decorate their summer lawn party.... ok I would be one of those few.

·
Registered
416 Posts
"How should I sell my props and such"
This all depends on your goal, make as much money as possible, get rid of it quickly, get rid of it with the least amount of work.
I have purchased from fellow home haunters through, Home Haunt Yard Sales (only Halloween), at Flea Markets, from Craig's List (everything or single items), from E-bay (single items)

If you are trying to sell ALL to one person and you estimate you have $5,000 of original retail, you are not going to get $2500 from one home haunter, too much money for one purchase and too much to haul and store. Your going to need to get into the $1250 range,
If you have unique/rare/sought after props, working, all parts, original box, E-Bay will bring the highest price and easiest, but you need to pack and ship.
I've bought both single items and large lots off of craig's list, the sellers normally thank me for actually showing up, "a lot of people showed interest, but never show up for their appointment"!
The yard sale "all Halloween" is cool, no shipping, one day of staying home, but needs good weather and you need to promote! With the Flea market, lots of exposure, but you need to haul and buyers all looking to buy low.

I always show the sellers that I do a home haunt (pictures) and ask if there are any items they want to keep before we come up with a price after viewing.
If they are piecing out the stuff I ask for sample prices, some ask for above retail, so then I know ahead of time, will the prices be reasonable.

Generally, I'm not interest in the Home Made tombstones or other home made items, but I didn't have a chance to buy any of Terra's (or other HF members)stuff, which she followed the donate to a charity haunt, you can still visit and should be able to take a tax deduction.

I believe this is just part of the Life Cycle of a Home Haunter.
Good Luck, as some day we all will have to do this.
I plan to leave it ALL to my Nieces and Nephews, except the swamp witch which I have promised to a HF member :)

·
His name is Roger Clyne
10,369 Posts
I think we've all been there with the burnout, some longer than others. There's nothing wrong with cutting back or even quitting. For some it's just storing it all for couple years then coming back & looking at it all & deciding to start again or to rid yourself of all of it. For others it's downsizing to some core pieces & only doing that. Maybe for some it's just decorating inside & for some it could be just doing nothing at all & only handing out candy. For others it's just getting rid of it all & moving on.

Ya do what ya gotta do.

I never rid myself of everything I started with but I was forced into a break for a few years due to the fact that I was in an apartment & had no place to decorate. It was the best thing to ever happen to me. I got a breather, got to do other things & not worry about being "on" for Halloween & when we bought our house (we actually settled on Halloween) I was ready to get back into the mix.

·
Registered
3,635 Posts
I've been thinking about clearing out some of my stuff and figured my biggest crowd would be halloween night. I thought about setting up a yardsale type scene in my cemetery where "everything must go" and just let the kids take what they want. Hoping it might create future haunters :)

·
Halloween Elitist
2,892 Posts
I've been thinking about clearing out some of my stuff and figured my biggest crowd would be halloween night. I thought about setting up a yardsale type scene in my cemetery where "everything must go" and just let the kids take what they want. Hoping it might create future haunters :)
Wow, sounds like that would work too good, I imagine a mob of kids and grown ups grabbing stuff left and right, it would certainly clear some stuff..

1,476 Posts
I kinda like that idea... I always said when I go I want the family to have one big Halloween Party and everyone gets to take a favorite piece home with them to remember me by.

·
Oak Lane Cemetery
2,056 Posts
If I were ever to sell I would first post on craigslist and any local haunt organization websites for local pickup only for a couple of months, then on ebay and the rest of the haunt forums with whatever does not sell to the local haunters. That way you might be able to unload a lot of it without having to worry about shipping.

·
livin Halloween every day
1,989 Posts
I can offer no advice here because I cannot relate to this. I Love Halloween so much I cannot even think of a possibility of not doing it. If anything I agree to just scale back a bit for a year two and then see if you still feel this same way. Halloween can be enjoyed with just one lit jack O' lantern on the porch.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts