Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Creepin When Your Sleepin
1,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does any one know or remember seeing foam tombstones covered with quikrete??
I seen it some where and I don't remember where. from what I recall you mix the quikrete in with the paint and apply it over the foam. Please If anyone knows what I am talking about post a link for it. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Hey CC.... I have added sand and corn meal to my paint before, and also monster mudded the stones, but I haven't run across any links that use Quikete yet... that would be an interesting technique, so I will keep watching the thread to see what others come up with...

·
Insert Witty Comment Here
4,484 Posts
I've though of using quickcrete to build a bunch of cheap tombstones...they wouldn't necessarily be pretty as I don't think writing my names with my finger would look good.

However, it would be a great medium to embed skulls and other props into and you can have the rebar posts built in

·
Creepin When Your Sleepin
1,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Stupid me I should of saved it but I said I will find it again!!!!!!

I am going to try it to see how it works.

Here is how I will do it!
1. get the foam.. cut out the design of the tombstone get it ready to paint.
2. get a gallon of gray paint paint and mix quikrete in with the paint and try applying it that way.
It should stick to the foam no problem. will still the detail of the letters or words.
wont be any more heavy then normal and it gives it a tougher skin on the tombstone.
I think I am gonna try this tonight and I will post pics of how it worked and if I changed anything. If I get it to work I will post a full HOW-TO.

·
Hauntless
8,371 Posts
I agree with Scream. That sounds exactly like Drylok and that's what I use on all my tombstones. Here's a closeup of the color of the gray Drylok and the sand texture that's in it. When you dry brush it with a very light gray, the features are brought out and it exactly looks like concrete or stone:

Here's how it looks after it is dry-brushed. I do three coats of Drylok on items that have a monster-mudded item on it or just two coats for regular tombstones. The best part? It's weather-proof. My tombstones were out for 32 days in Kansas weather....no damage:

·
The Hobo Spider Assassin
6,111 Posts
Stop it Terra, or you may be missing a stone this halloween! lol Teasing us like that. Creepy, hoping to hear how this went and if you've had success.

·
Registered
776 Posts
Alright Drylock makes sense its make to stick much the same as (Icant remember) goes over foam on the exterior that's right dryvit. But i don't like qwikrete for what its meant for let alone my precious tombstones. My fear is that it would crack off worse than paint during storage and that it might not hold well after being pored into a mold. i am interested to know how it turns out though.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts