Halloween Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
731 Posts

I saw the trailer this weekend when I saw Purge 2 it has one of the actresses from Bates Motel kinda reminded me of Witchboard from the 80s I like that trailer so far

·
Wisp in the Mist
1,953 Posts
I don't go see movies in theaters (mostly because of kids and no sitter), but I will watch it when it comes to cable...if we still have cable then. I hate our service!

Anyway, it doesn't look terrible, and I had to share a little bit about Witchboard.

If you ever get the chance to, watch Witchboard on VHS. Then watch it while it rewinds, if the machine allows that. It's hilarious, especially the hospital beheading scene. I've only seen it once...well, twice, if you count watching it while rewinding it. ;) Back in the old days of no such thing as DVD, obviously.

·
Registered
731 Posts
I don't go see movies in theaters (mostly because of kids and no sitter), but I will watch it when it comes to cable...if we still have cable then. I hate our service!

Anyway, it doesn't look terrible, and I had to share a little bit about Witchboard.

If you ever get the chance to, watch Witchboard on VHS. Then watch it while it rewinds, if the machine allows that. It's hilarious, especially the hospital beheading scene. I've only seen it once...well, twice, if you count watching it while rewinding it. ;) Back in the old days of no such thing as DVD, obviously.
Witchboard the first one is a classic!

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
"Kids! Turn OFF the Lights! Get out your glow-in-the-dark Oui-ja board!"
Yes, I saw one one a shelf in the toy department of a local store. Two weeks later it was gone and the owner was scared because "something" was doing odd things at night, making little noises, and "everything was going wrong, that should not have been going wrong". She had her Priest come and say his incantations in every room... and now she says it's gone....
She was too scared to even talk to me for more than a minute, but October is... coming. Strange things seem to happen at the end of that special month, although about 12 words ago in this sentence a very LOUD explosion happened right outside of our house, and it was 1:59 AM!
It was so loud that I though maybe the 1890 bridge about 500 feet from us had collapsed, but now it seems as if maybe some A.H. set off a half a stick of TNT a block away as the Tavern was closing.....right in the middle of the downtown, and people do live above these old store building . I'm glad I wasn't sleeping when that explosion happened.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Looks like a meh teen movie with lots of jump scares, but I'll see it because I have to watch a few new horror films in theaters during October. Shame they didn't put more work into the talking board. There are a lot of truly beautiful ones out there.

If anyone has some time to kill, the one star reviews for Hasbro's pink Ouija on Amazon are hilarious. The only scary thing about talking boards is the fact that all the messed up stuff they say is the product of someone in the circle. My friends and I once played with one in an abandoned hospital and no genuine spirit contacted us. I have no idea what setting could facilitate an experience more than that, so now I just see the boards as wonderful display pieces.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Um, looks pretty average if you ask me. How many times in horror movies have I seen people getting drug by some invisible demon? Jump scares and creepy ghosts. I'm sorry to say this, but just like the "slasher movies" lost their touch, I think this whole "the lamp fell over" type of movies are getting OLD. There are better ideas and plots. :mad:

·
Registered
12 Posts
I'm with you, Creepster. The house that Wan built is due for some demolition.
Has anyone noticed how generic the trailer is? Looks like ten others I've watched this month. That's a pretty reliable way to spot a cynical studio movie.

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
Probably more "Right" than "Wrong" concerning the quality of the movie(s)... but then I wonder if anyone thought this way back in the 1940's when studios were cranking out the further adventures of Mummy, Wolf man and Frankenstein?
Sometimes, certain parts of "Schlock"-ART come back years later with a whole new reputation , serving a whole new audience with a whole new fandom.

·
The Big Kahuna of Fright
4,328 Posts
Pretty obvious who the Target Audience is here... Well, we have daughters 15 and 10 yr old, so it's a sure bet they'll be seeing that one next month.

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
Not that I have any solid "Numbers", but I do think that the majority of customers that my Year-round Haunted house has had are of the female persuasion.
Guys risk losing their Macho image if the other guys or Heaven Forbid, any of the "Girls" saw or heard "Him" expressing anything fearful.

·
Registered
731 Posts
Probably more "Right" than "Wrong" concerning the quality of the movie(s)... but then I wonder if anyone thought this way back in the 1940's when studios were cranking out the further adventures of Mummy, Wolf man and Frankenstein?
Sometimes, certain parts of "Schlock"-ART come back years later with a whole new reputation , serving a whole new audience with a whole new fandom.
Oh I am sure people complained about Universal Monster films in the 40s as well but I think James Wan is doing a good job with his current style of horror flick

·
Registered
74 Posts
I've seen "Quija," and "Witch Board," and yes, they are similar. I think the same thing in both movies,consequences for using the board,make me think. I have had a few strange experiences, and decided not to use one anymore,but nothing as dramatic as the movies. People say it's just a game, but to me it's a tool, like a K11 meter,or a Voice recorder. With all of them you can give entities a chance to communicate. I think the fun,and maybe less serious use of the Quija Board might sometimes give the image of people being off guard,and vulnerable. it's more of a game atmosphere. You don't do an E.V.P. Session and ask things like,"will I get my promotion?, or will my girlfriend forgive me?, lol

·
Registered
702 Posts
Is anyone else scared for the way big studios are doing horror now? I love going to the theaters and seeing scary movies; it's what I live for! But when movies like this come out, I just shake my head in disappointment. Indie movies are doing very well, and I'm happy with what I'm seeing, but they're not usually released in a wide-enough area where I can see one. This makes it very hard to watch any of the good movies. What to do?!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts